1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preperation for Primary PGCE September 2012

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by FionaM_811, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I found out today I have been offered an unconditional place on a Primary PGCE course to start in September. It was a complete shock as I thought the interview went terribly, but I am so happy and relieved I dont have to worry now, and very excited yet nervous to begin!
    On the interview day, the tutors said if we were successful they would give us some feedback as to what to work on based on our application and interview in preparation for the course. Having only just accepted their offer, I thought I would get in early to see if anyone on here could recommend anything? Any vital books to read, things to brush up on, things I'll nee to buy, absolutely anything you think would be helpful! Im currently volunteering one day per week, alongside working full time (retail), and looking for temp TA jobs up until the end of the school year to gain more experience. If unsuccessful, I am thinking about reducing my hours at work to do more volunteering in schools.
    Thanks in advance for any advice :)

2. Hi,
    I found out today I have been offered an unconditional place on a Primary PGCE course to start in September. It was a complete shock as I thought the interview went terribly, but I am so happy and relieved I dont have to worry now, and very excited yet nervous to begin!
    On the interview day, the tutors said if we were successful they would give us some feedback as to what to work on based on our application and interview in preparation for the course. Having only just accepted their offer, I thought I would get in early to see if anyone on here could recommend anything? Any vital books to read, things to brush up on, things I'll nee to buy, absolutely anything you think would be helpful! Im currently volunteering one day per week, alongside working full time (retail), and looking for temp TA jobs up until the end of the school year to gain more experience. If unsuccessful, I am thinking about reducing my hours at work to do more volunteering in schools.
    Thanks in advance for any advice :)

3. bex900

bex900 New commenter

Hi,
    Congratulations! I started mine in sept 2011 and loving it!
    I imagine the kind of prep work you differs from course to course but it defo won't be a waste of time to read (and keep a brief review) of childrens literature, a good place to start is the smarties book prize winners on wikipedia. Also brush up on maths and english knowledge for the QTS test, there are practice tests online. My first assignment was on educational theorists which I imagine gets covered in a lot of PGCE course so you could look into that?????
    Hope that helps.

Good luck x

4. watermelon3

watermelon3 New commenter

Hi!
    I am doing a Primary PGCE at the moment, and fel the same as you before I started. I wish thaty some one had told me to download the National Curriculum, EYFS, and Letters and Sounds, if you have the time and want to do so,e prep, download them and flick through!
    Good luck!

5. MrMercedes

MrMercedes New commenter

I have finished my PGCE recently.
    My uni had problems sourcing placements. I would recommend (if you have any contacts) sourcing your own placements. Obviously every uni is different and perhaps it was just my uni. But this is something i would consider.
    As the last poster said letters and sounds would be great for phonics. I would brush up on your literacy and numeracy subject knowledge. Start having a look around the web for any websites you can use for teaching ideas. E.g. TES resources, primary resources website, BBC bitesize etc
    Good luck!

6. Hi there,
    I am current primary student and I agree with watermelon3. Try and become familiar with the National Curriculum for all subjects, Letters and Sounds, the PNS for Maths and English and QCA scheme of work in all subjects. Its a lot but if you can get to grips with these documents these will save you SO much time and stress in the long run!!

7. There was a really good thread on this last year for the current cohort, sorry, not got time to search for it but you could.
    I totally agree with whoever said to download the NC. Also download everything you can find that's a government document, such as the QCA schemes of work, national literacy and numeracy strategies with schemes of work. With the curriculum review and change of government it's getting increasingly difficult and frustrating trying to find these online, as they're being archived, and when you think you've found it the link often doesn't work, grr!!!! This will only get worse as the weeks and months tick by, so download and save what you can now.
    The clever government seem to think it's OK to take everything away now, but are twiddling their thumbs on what they're replacing it with, so soon we will have nothing!
    Generally though, make sure you spend quality time with friends and family, take a holiday if you can, and savour the free time. At times the PGCE is perfectly manageable, but other times (like when you're on placement) you will be working non-stop, so make sure you're rested and ready to ace it!
    Also it's death by plastic wallet and filing, so you could slowly stock up on these so it's not such a big hit when you start (painful to spend tens of pounds on plastic wallets in one hit, not so bad to spend 50p every now and again when you're in town!)
    Good luck with it!