1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing your mathematics department for open evening

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Mr_Mathematics, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Mr_Mathematics

Mr_Mathematics Occasional commenter

Hi
    I've written a blog to show how I showcase the maths department to prospective parents and students on open evening.
    I hope you find some useful ideas.

Preparing your mathematics department for open evening

Please leave comments for any ideas you have.

Many thanks
    Jonathan

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

not sure many departments ever look beyond exactly what they did last year.
    All a huge waste of time. All schools should be open to visitors for a week during term time so parents and children can see what actually goes on rather than a load of games that only come out of the cupboard once a year. Management might actually take an interest in getting behaviour properly sorted for one week a year!

DappaOne likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I found that the biggest problem with the open evenings we went to was that we couldn't get round everything. Every department put on exciting activities, and at the first school if we hadn't given our guide the slip we would have barely got beyond the science labs. You need something to occupy children if parents want to ask questions, but work out how much time they will actually have per subject, and don't set up activities that last 20 minutes.

hammie and strawbs like this.