1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing the weakest for GCSE maths

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by mathsfairy, Sep 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mathsfairy

mathsfairy New commenter

I have the weakest group in year 11 and I want to make sure they are as prepared as they can be for their exams.

As they have seen most of the material that is accessible to them it allows me to spend more time with them on exam prep.

My hope is to spend one lesson a week purely on exam techniques, like circling the key words.

The issue is my inspiration goes that far at the moment and I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas?

Thanks so much.

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Maybe spend a lesson/half a lesson a week on basics such as times tables, how to divide, working out perimeter etc. but do it in a really quick, fun way such as a team quiz (building points each week for a prize at the end of term?) or 'first one to 10 gets a point' or a board game or something? The weakest students tend to be ones that really struggle to move on because they haven't got the basics so a constant recap of the building blocks would be useful for them.

jp375 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. GrahamLawler

GrahamLawler New commenter

take 12 blocks and tell them the answer is 12, develop a question, eg 2 groups of 6, how many other groups can they make. Giving them the answer of 12 should maintain their self esteem.Then change the answer to say 20, what questions can they make now ?

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Lead commenter

So because they are not good at maths they have to receive less teaching and more assessment literacy input? The curriculum is more than the assessment.

My experience is that lower sets find their teaching dull and full of revision of things they find hard. Make it more relevant and interesting and they will develop their motivation and not be put off the subject for life by a teacher who practiced the exam every week.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I find little hope in this statement.

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet New commenter

I had bottom set yr 10 today after lunch, I went to get the work, "ooh" let me see, I know factors. I am supply I have resources. So I had 10 mins to work with, Trawled my resources, found several interactives, they were queing to try, on the IAW, drag and drop the answers. It was colourful and we had FUN. Remember, if it is fun you will remember more, the kids do too.
    So to sum up. Keep it simple, involve the students, make it colourful and fun. Then keep returning to past topics and practice.

Better than drawing circles