1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing Resources

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sparky1985, Jan 9, 2011.

1. I just wondered how many hours a week people spend making resources for their classroom (for kids, cue cards, display prompts, posters- the whole works!)
    I just wonder as I have been working solidly now without any break for 3 hrs, did 2 hrs after school both Thurs and Fri and am still not ready...I am normally very time effective but this seems excessive to me for a week on top of marking all my books and planning and evaluating etc. I know its start of term so will settle down but much as I love my kids and my job I am not happy thay I am still here making all our stuff for the week before I tackle their SATs practise writing that needs to be marked for tomorrow!
    What does everyone else do?
  2. I rarely make resources. If I need anything made, one of the TAs in our year group will do it but we have lots of stuff to use already so it is a rarity.

3. I spend a lot of time making things, but this is my first year of teaching and I'm hoping that, if I keep everything, it gets easier!
    My TA has a really full timetable, but I am starting to think ahead and when she has an odd few minutes during independent work or during an input where she's not needed to support someone, I ask her to make things for me. For me, it's about two things: letting go (yes, other people can make the resources I need!) and being sufficiently organised to be able to think ahead!
  4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I have fits and starts probably a couple of hours every now and then if I want to try something new
  5. Our TAs are not allowed to make resources or do displays during school time- they have 30min before/after school to do jobs only. Given we share TAs (1 between 2 classes) this means I end up doing most of what I need. Plus even though my TA is always on time she goes and makes tea 1st thing and checks her email so really she has 15min before school- so irritating
  6. I'm in Year 2 and except for scheduled interventions I only have a TA for 2 hours a week which I use for helping with lessons like science, so I have to make all the bits myself. I find myself making lots as we have gone creative curriculum so lots of new things without any resources. Mind you I quite like making things so it's ok. We do have 15 mins a day on top so the TA can photocopy bits, but there's not a lot that can get done in that time.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have a tTA one daya week (split am and pn on alternative days) with a very low ability and challanging yr3 class.......so if i want it done then i have to organice is..so far its taken one of her Days.just to find class resources...so displays should be up by half term. the rest i find and usually do as i cant wait a week for photocopying to be done!
  8. Msz

I don't have a TA at all
  9. Msz, how do you manage your photocopying and bits?
  10. Takeaway-Resources

Takeaway-Resources New commenter

I also dont have a TA.
    I have 2 x 1:1 adults - but they are supporting their children when they are in the classroom.
  11. Msz

I know the code for the copier [​IMG]
  12. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

I'm year 2, also no TA am so jealous of people with TAs.