1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing preschoolers for Pre-prep/FS1 admission tests

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by miadup_mia, Feb 27, 2019.

1. miadup_mia

miadup_mia New commenter

Can anyone tell me what children need to be able to do when going to FS1/Pre-prep??
    As far as I know we should prepare them to be independent, have social and problem solving skills and can do things like dress or use the loo by themselves.
    I am hearing all sorts of things children are being asked to do when taken for the admission tests - like being able to write their name or shown pictures of things like TWEEZERS asking them what it is used for. Tweezers!??
    I am stressing as I need to prepare my preschool class for the next year and am getting mixed messages from parents and the net.

Hoping there is an Early Years coordinator here who can help me on this.

2. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

I have previously been an EY coordinator. When children started in Reception with me I was happy if they were independent- coats, toilet, finding things to do etc. I expected children to follow simple instructions and listen well to a short story. Experience with phase one phonics is a good grounding and some ability to count out a small group of objects. Social skills are key and I would rather this was well embedded than anything else. Of course all children are different and some will be well beyond what I have described and others below. If you look at development matters children are expected to be secure in 30-50 months and beginning to work in 40-60 at the start of Reception. Hope that helps.

miadup_mia likes this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yep, agreed.
    Some independent schools might set their own expectations for their admission tests, which is why you are hearing these other things. Personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole any school that had admission tests for 4 year olds but that's me!

miadup_mia and littlejackhorner like this.
  4. miadup_mia

miadup_mia New commenter

Thank you!!
    I thought as much.
    From my experience most enter Reception at a 40-60 low, mostly secure at 30-50.
    I'll just follow the guidelines and ignore any other requests/feedback from parents saying I need to do more to help their children enter certain private schools.

5. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

Sorry, but I have to do this....

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would expect most children entering reception in a private school, to be emerging 40-60 or above.

Other than what's outlined here, things like recognising their name, most digits and read/sound the set 1 sounds might be useful. But nothing much more than that.