1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing my child for SATS tests

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jun 4, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

However if you do want to work with him at home, and many parents do, then I would buy levelled books rather than general ones. If you buy general ones, about 2/3 of the book will be too easy or too hard.

Rising Stars (google them) do the best that I have seen. You can buy the revision guides and question books. But talk to your child's teacher to gauge which level you should buy.

2. I'd second the idea of not doing anything. My daughter has just sat hers and apart from the bits she had to do that school asked her to we did nothing at home. I personally think this is really important as in the lead up to the Sats their time at school seems ruled by it, so I certainly didn't want her to bring all that focus on Sats home. I just reassured her that it wasn't really about her at all and she should do her best, but not worry how she did.

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Please, please don't prepare him for the SATs. He is only 10/11.
    Doing some work at home is great but please don't do SAT prep. The poor kids get enough of this at school. Lots of reading (find things he enjoys and let him choose his own stuff at the library) and take him to lots of different places as this gives kids experiences they can write about.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As a teacher I agree with the please don't do anything pleas. However as a year 6 teacher I am fully aware that at least 25 out of my 30 children did do work at home independently of school and took comfort from the security of doing extra prep. Parents also like to feel involved and help, so if it works for you then go for it.

5. After teaching year six for six years I concur with the above; Rising Stars resources are great but the whole SATs procedure is a joke - the secondary school teachers I have liaised with take more from our conversations than the SATs because the results come out too late for them to organise timetabling and sets. They might look at them in October but then they make their own assessemnts and dismiss the KS2 results.
    The best thing you can do is support your child with any homework and make sure they are relaxed and fear nothing - I have had year six children crumble into tears because of the pressure placed upon them from a number of sources and it is heartbraking.
    If you must do something the below seem to be common areas to work ensure are covered, but remember your child may be different, this is for L4, your child could be L3 or L5 - speak to the teacher.
    - key features of text types (Rising Stars does this well as does CGP and Letts Success) don't get them to write them just understand what each one needs
    - reading questions and then scanning text for answers
    - mental arithemtic especially tables
    - make sure your child can use four calculation rules
    After changing to Y2, I can now see how SATs should be done but there are still parents placing too much pressure on their children here!! Just be supportive it my advice.

6. Can only echo the above. Support with any given homework where needed but do not make the tests sound like a big deal. Keep the pressure off.