1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for teacher training

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lotty8, Feb 26, 2016.

1. lotty8

lotty8 New commenter

Hi all,
    I have a school direct place starting september and I'm wondering what I can do to best prepare. I have been looking at the curriculum and have a good knowledge on education 'issues' but is there anything I can do now to lighten the load when I start?
    Thanks

2. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Join the FB Group "16/17 Teacher Training" - loads of PGCE students in the same position.

You can enhance your subject knowledge, start buying stationary, ask for a reading list from your uni, start saving/preparing resources from TES/Resourcd/anywhere, gain experience, network...

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Buy a spare freezer. Fill it with stuff that you can either slowcook or cook quickly.

That is my honest advice that I give to all of my trainees! They laugh.... and then, after the first gruelling month, they understand why I have a spare freezer full of things I can slowcook or cook quickly!

4. u004665

u004665 New commenter

Hi, I am also starting School Direct in September for Secondary History. I am going to start researching lesson activities to build up a database which I can then add to when teaching. This will hopefully give me a head start when planning lessons. I also have started saving bookmarks of useful websites to use.

5. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Rather than looking up activities, spend some time looking over the curriculum and filling the gaps in your subject knowledge. That's often the thing that causes issues.