1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for school direct

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lotty8, Feb 26, 2016.

1. lotty8

lotty8 New commenter

Hi all,
    I have a school direct place starting september and I'm wondering what I can do to best prepare. I have been looking at the curriculum and have a good knowledge on education 'issues' but is there anything I can do now to lighten the load when I start?
    Thanks

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Hi Lotty. There's nothing you can specifically do to prepare, I don't think.

Nearer the time the uni may send you a reading list, but I wouldn't recommend going out and buying loads of books, just borrow from the uni library or view the library's online version.

I was a PGCE student last year. We were advised to get on Twitter and follow various people and organisations (like TES, DfE, TeacherToolkit). To be honest everyone posts millions of Tweets per day so I had no time to read them, but if you have time before starting the course maybe it would be useful for you.

Continue to spend time in schools, if not currently employed in a school. Volunteering etc. Doesn't even have to be in the same age range as your PGCE - I volunteered to listen to primary kids reading, but I'm a secondary teacher.

Consider how much money you'll have coming in (loans, grants, etc.) Create a budget. Be aware that SFE pays grants randomly, not a set amount per month. They will write and tell you when and how much, but they can change this without notice.

When you're on the PGCE, especially your second placement, do whatever you need to make it through. If you need to go to bed at 8pm on a Friday and sleep for 12 hours, then do it. If you need a couple of G&Ts on Friday at 8pm, then do it.

That's all I can think of.

3. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Good luck for your course! Read as much as you can while you have the time, your course will tell you soon which books they recommend but if primary there are a brilliant set of "Achieving QTS" books in maths, science and English to help with subject knowledge. Volunteer if you are not working in a school.

4. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Get as much rest as possible and enjoy the time between now and September. It'll be pretty intense after that!

5. boomboombang

boomboombang New commenter

Like you, I spent a fair few weeks trying to prepare for my SD- diligently reading through the course list and note taking. However, once it starts it all goes out the window!

If you're like me, I started teaching day one all of my own classes, on my own, so you can see how pedagogy wasn't what I really needed at that time. My best advice would be to read a couple of behaviour management books and work on your confidence in front of young people. The sooner they see you as a 'teacher' the easier it will be for you.

Nearer the time, if you can find out which topics you need to teach in the first term then do. Funnel your time into beefing up your subject knowledge or that term. This will pay dividends when you start planning and teaching come September.

Start buying teacher clothes in the sale: those high-neck, pencil dresses are a God-send (one item of clothing= outfit!). Start going through your old FB posts (the On This Day function is a great way to check out your old skeletons) and make sure everything's above board- mine certainly wasn't!

Make the most of your free evenings, midweek dinners with friends, being able to book annual leave whenever you like and, if you can coast in your current job, then enjoy that too as there's no time for that on the SD route!

Your lifestyle will change in ways you haven't yet thought possible however it's certainly not doom and gloom- it's just the craziest thing anyone ever does. Like a hangover, it will feel horrible at the time but when you recover- totally worth it!

Good luck and enjoy.

P.S. Buy tupperware. So as before you start the course, or during the holidays, you can make and freeze as many meals as possible! I used to happily spend an hour a night cooking and cleaning but now I'm in my SD year it's hard to find the time/energy for that. Whipping out a meal out of the freezer makes me so happy! Sunday morning is my new cooking time now.

6. lotty8

lotty8 New commenter

Thankyou :) Some good tips...really excited to start now.