1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for NQT Year whilst being a supply teacher:

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by sophiehistory, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Hello, I am a supply teacher looking for a
    NQT position in Primary Schools. Whilst I am doing this what things could I be
    doing to help me get NQT positions, ready for NQT year for example planning and
    complete NQT standards?

</h1>Any help appreciated.
    Sophie

2. Sorry I had cut
    this from another website which seems to be causing it to overlap.

<font size="2">So, hello!</font>

<font size="2">I am a supply
    teacher seeking an NQT Primary School position asap. Whilst I am doing this
    what do you suggest I do to help me prepare in any way for when I have my NQT
    post. What things could I do to help with obtaining standards, preparing for
    lessons?</font>

<font size="2">Any help and
    advice appreciated. Thank you. </font>

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Most important thing is to get induction done so do everything you can to get known in different schools so that you are well placed to apply for any covers that come up. Consider moving if that will give you more opportunities. Depending on what your degree is, you might be able to pick up some hourly paid work in FE to develop subject knowledge.

4. Thanks GloriaSunshine,
    Great idea - ill be sure to make a good impression when I teach at schools as a supply.
    Do you think there is any planning I can do?

5. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Hi Sophiehistory,
    I was in the same position as you last year and supply teaching gave me some great experience. I found the supply forum here absolutely brilliant (some of the regular posters helped me through the hard times!)
    Where I am, people don't move on from their teaching jobs very often, so I tried to look at gaps. I started Level 3 Forest School training, and being proactive seemed to help me to secure my current NQT position. As a supply teacher, I was able to take groups out on Forest School sessions (just in the school grounds) as part of my training, and this got me more bookings. I'm not sure if it is the same where you are, but word-of-mouth is very powerful where I am and I made sure I was always polite and professional and this got me recommendations. After I'd been offered a job, I was offered another job where I had been doing weekly supply and the headteacher said she had asked about me and was pleased with what she had heard. Always be nice to your TA!
    I also called the Local Authority and asked if I could go on CPD training for free (as I was a hard-up supply teacher!) and they said that I could as long as the courses were not sold out. It's always worth keeping your professional development going and it helped me to keep abreast with new approaches.
    Not sure if this is helpful! Good luck, I'm sure you will be great.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

As you can't know which year group you will have if you get an Induction term (or more) in the new school year .... and as you don't know whether you will be starting in the Autumn, Spring or Summer term ... and as you can't know about the SOW you will be required to follow, I'd not waste time planning lessons that you may not be able to use or will have to do more than just tweak.
    Put your energies into contacting schools with your availability. Also, make it a priority to register witht he LA supply service. You can also contact the LA NQT advisor for Primary and ask to be kept informed about up-coming Maternity Leave cover positions etc.

7. I am in a similar position I am supply teaching and haven't started my induction. I have gained loads of experience since qualifying and I didn't know whether I should be keeping a folder of evidence of stuff done since qualifying or whether to just wait until I start induction.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No school will consider evidence gained prior to starting Induction. They will want to establish how you have met the standards since being registered for Induction. That doesn't mean, of course, that you can't re-cycle lessons etc that you did on TP or when on short-term supply.

9. I've posted a brief reply on the new teachers website where you posted this message as well:
    http://newteachers.tes.co.uk/questions/i-am-supply-teacher-looking-nqt-position-primary-schools/46026
    James

10. Really great and to the point advice, thank you.

11. Saying that though, I was in the same position last year and I'm really glad a teacher friend suggested that I keep a record of what I'd done on supply,as this really impressed the HT who has now employed me.

If you manage to get anything more than a week's supply with the same school you could keep any planning (annotated to show how the lessons went) and copies of work that you set and marked so prospective employers can see that you've been working hard and are prepared for having your own class. My USP I wrote on applications was that I 'had the enthusiasm of an NQT but with a lot more experience than the average new teacher' and having the folder of work helped back this up!