1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for my NQT

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by katievarney1, Jul 30, 2020.

1. katievarney1

katievarney1 New commenter

Hello everyone!
    I am starting my NQT year in September and feel like I should be preparing over the summer!
    I haven’t yet receive my NQT pack or any guidance from the school so was wondering if anyone had any advice for things I could do to prepare?
    For example, is it worth setting up an NQT standards folder or evidence folder? Is there any CPD I can do or find to support me? Are there any specific things I need to have printed/made/prepared to be organised and ready for September?

All advice is greatly appreciated!!!
    Thank you everyone!

2. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

3. Jeremyinspain

Jeremyinspain Occasional commenter

Do some 'wide' educational reading, there is a tendency, once you get started, to narrow your focus (or have your focus narrowed) to the nitty-gritty 'must-dos' which will take over your life come September. You now have a chance to think big - read about children, read about teachers, watch DVDs about education. But make sure whatever you read or watch inspires you for the journey ahead.

It looks (from your tags) that you're in primary (as I am), so think about the type of teacher you're going to be. It took me a few years to find my 'persona' in the class, and it never really stopped changing as I stole ideas from all the teachers I admired throughout my career.

I'm just about retiring, so am finally finding the time to read the things I wish I'd read all those years ago...

Enjoy it. Good luck.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Valium prescription.

5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Read Teach like a champion.

Ask your school for long and medium term plans.

Ask them for the recovery curriculum.

Read Keeping Children Safe in Education 2019 Part One (there will be an update in September but the majority won't change.

Read your school's behaviour, marking and learning environment policies.

REST.

6. ChocolateChunk

ChocolateChunk New commenter

Get familiar with the school policies as sooooexcited advised and make sure that you are familiar with the Exam Boards that your Department uses. Which subject is it for?
    Did the Head of Department provide the Scheme of Work for the classes that you will teach? If so, it is worth looking at how you will sequence your lessons to reach all objectives in due time.

Having a NQT evidence folder is useful, especially if you know which areas you need to focus on. Your mentor should support you in that regard as well.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Get your hands on all of the tools, supplies and equipment that you are going to need. Yes, of course your new school might have some of them. On the other hand, they might not. What sort of things am I talking about? A good laptop, an external hard drive for backing things up, a scanner, a printer, a couple of staplers (with lots of staples that are the right size) and maybe even your own laminator. Oh yes, and try to find out as much as you can about what educational resources the school already has. Then go through the TES Resources with a fine-toothed comb. What do they have that you might find useful? Yes, info about exam boards and schemes of work will give you the framework, but you also need actual things that you can use in the classroom.