1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for Literature Exam

Discussion in 'English' started by DalekTeacher, May 19, 2012.

1. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I have a week left with my Year 11 class and some of them have recently expressed concern about how to tackle the questions and selecting appropriate parts of the book. What activities do you use to develop this confidence? I don't want them to go blank in the exam and this is what some of them have explained it as - they can't think of all the points to make.
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

2. DalekTeacher

Hi,
    I have a week left with my Year 11 class and some of them have recently expressed concern about how to tackle the questions and selecting appropriate parts of the book. What activities do you use to develop this confidence? I don't want them to go blank in the exam and this is what some of them have explained it as - they can't think of all the points to make.
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm presuming you've done plenty of planning on the board, timed essays etc. Maybe get them into mixed ability groups, give them questions and get the more able to demonstrate the planning process. Or get them to set you a question that you model planning on the board, showing them how you find quotations quickly?

4. DalekTeacher

We have looked at past paper questions and made them create essay plans to share with the rest of the class. They won't have their copies of the text in the exam, so I have been trying to tell them the importance of understanding the text inside out.
    I was thinking of modelling to them how I would tackle a question for around ten minutes and then get them to do individual characters and theme based ones.
    Some of them don't seem to have read all of the book which is what is worrying me.

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

But you've read the books in class at least once, surely? If they haven't read the books agin at home, it's a bit late now! Definitely model planning and thinking of details, rather than quotations. They could also look at their marked essays and identify ways in which they could be improved, using the mark scheme, and compare ideas.

6. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

Groups. A3 paper and really nice coloured pens. A character or theme per group (put them on the board and let groups choose). Find all references to the character or theme. Give brief quote (max. 6 words) and pg. reference and why important (the "twitter" way - no more than 140 characters...) Create poster. Groups could present to class (depending on how long lessons are) You photocopy posters onto A4 and hand out next lesson for revision posters for their bedroom walls!
    Hope this helps.