1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for ICT GTP.

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by craig_f, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Good afternoon one and all.

I Need your advice, I am about to embark on my ICT GTP.
    As terms officially starts next week I want to pro-active and head in later on this week, obviously I want to be prepared andready as much as I can - I also want to get to know the Dept. staff a bit more.
    Baring in mind that I have my own desktop and desk space (unlike most other GTP's I am told [​IMG] ) what should I be looking to do/purchase/prepare before it really 'kicks off' .
    Any advice whatsoever would be grateful.
    Thanks in Advance. CF

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Joining this forum is a good start [​IMG]
    • Be confident where you're strong but don't be arrogant
    • ASK FOR HELP AND ADVICE - noone expects miracles.
    • Read schemes of work
    • Get to know the applications you're using inside out
    • Make sure you understand what you're teaching (see 2)
    • Be sure you understand the school's policies on behaviour, homework, setting work, differentiation etc (see 2)
    • Be systematic in your marking and setting of work
    • BE REALLY nice to the cleaners, caretakers, ICT Techs, thanks to them go a really long way when you need something ;-)
    • Be socialable with your colleagues in the dept and peers
    • Don't let 'em get to you; it's only a job.
    Good luck with it.

3. Good points DEmsley -
    Being nice to the admin/cleaners is key I say - they really have all the power and make life move so much easier for you.

Keeping this in perspective is important too - you will have to do masses of work for your GTP so be super organised. You'll soon realise it's better to work hard in your numerous frees at work than doing it at home - get into the habit of working hard at all times in school to get a good work life balance.

Buy biscuits for the dept!

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

LOL - Are you his new HOD? [​IMG]

5. Great advice thank you. Gives me a place to start, as for caretakers etc my Father is a caretaker so I doubt he would look to kindely on me taking advantage of them [​IMG].
    Any advice on planning my lesson's in the early day? I have been told umpteenth times it's something Ill improve - Looking for some good 'getting started' tips.

Many thanks again. CF