1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

preparing for first post

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rflood84, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Two questions: I am preparing for my first full time post as an mfl teacher ks3,4 and 5 and would like some advice as to how much planning you would advise should be done and how you would decorate your classroom? Thanks

2. Our MFL department has great displays, boards along one wall with the different tenses. The seasons, months, colours and numbers are around the top of the walls near the ceiling. It has been proven that displays of the core knowledge can help in exams, as some kids can get to the point where they can be sat in the exam hall and imagine being sat in the room, they know if they look at a certain board the past tense will be there etc.
    The past, present, future tenses are all on different colours, and those colours are used throughout their whole language studies, across all languages, so when they do some work they underline the tenses in those colours etc etc
    How exciting for you to be setting up your own classroom!

3. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

The above advice is great. I always find that making sure the boards are backed is a good start and then I would put year titles on, e.g. Year 8 ready for the fantastic work they will do for you.

In terms of planning, you could start on the outlines for the first term. Establish what you are teaching, identify the key assessment and then work backwards.

I bet you are really excited :)

4. thank you so much for all your help I will def follow your advice [​IMG]

5. that is fantastic advice, many thanks