1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for Drama PGCE - Advice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by MrDramaGuy22, Aug 24, 2018.

1. MrDramaGuy22

MrDramaGuy22 New commenter

I am starting my secondary PGCE in drama [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] come September, and through the summer between finishing my undergraduate degree and now; so far I have;

• Read a handful of curriculum relevant plays that I was either unfamiliar with or have not read for a long time.
    • Tried my best to keep up-to-date with general education and teaching news (mostly via tes community or news sections of this site).
    • Bought lovely stationery
    • Am currently reading ’ Progression in Secondary Drama’ (Andy Kempe / Marigold Ashwell) and 'Getting the ******* to behave' (Sue Cowley)
    • Going over drama techniques and or subject specific criteria to brush up on subject knowledge.
    After reading forums, blogs, the studentroom etc… I still feel as though the course and the workload are going to hit me like a ton of bricks. Is there something I should be doing other than that of which I already am? I like to be prepared and organised. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2018
    pepper5 likes this.
  2. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

From what I've seen, drama teachers face a tougher time of it then most in terms of recruitment, so I would suggest that come January, even December, you need to be combing TES, the guardian and other teacher jobsites/avenues for jobs. Even if you don't feel ready go for it, interviews can vary greatly.

Remember to beg, borrow and steal resources (ok maybe not steal..just photocopy it for later?).
    Make sure you are equipped with a diary to keep track of seminar times/dates and any specific meetings you have during the teaching week.
    Get yourself 1-2 lever arch files to store resources.

Yes you will feel like you were hit with a tonne of bricks, but darn it don't let them keep you down!
    Remember to look after yourself (I feel like a hypocrite saying this), keep your Saturdays sacred, sundays are for planning/marking. During the week try to keep to a deadline, like say 9pm (bwaha that is laughable - mine was like midnight), for planning, marking, assignments.

Oh and if you happen to get really ill during the year (being tired and rundown can encourage this sadly), remember its better to take time off to get better then struggle on and get worse.

All in all, good luck, take care and eat your 5 a day.

MrDramaGuy22 and pepper5 like this.
  3. MrDramaGuy22

MrDramaGuy22 New commenter

Thanks so much for the advice. Much appreciated!