1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

preparing for CoG role

Discussion in 'Governors' started by emerald04, Jul 18, 2012.

1. I'm to be elected as CoG in Sept and really want to prepare as much as possible over the summer
    Currently I'm vice chair, not that the current CoG lets me help with the chair role,SEN gov and sit on 2 sub-committees
    I'm reading the chairs handbook, SEF, and the head is due to email all the results today,
    I've booked several training courses for Sept/Oct including the new OFSTED framework briefing.I'm also familiarising myself with roles of the named governors and the clerk.
    I'm concerned we don't appear to have a good portfolio of evidence of monitoring and reporting on school visits and being a 'critical friend' so I've started to look into this.
    We currently have 3 governor vacancies due to gov's leaving due to frustration of the conduct by existing chair so I wanted to ensure we have proper governor inductions which we currently don't have.
    I have a lot of relationships to re build between governors and staff/parents including the head which the current CoG destroyed in less than a year so thought we could invite staff to sub committees, inset day for both staff and gov's. Our new SIP is brillant and very supportive.
    What else could I look at??

2. I'm to be elected as CoG in Sept and really want to prepare as much as possible over the summer
    Currently I'm vice chair, not that the current CoG lets me help with the chair role,SEN gov and sit on 2 sub-committees
    I'm reading the chairs handbook, SEF, and the head is due to email all the results today,
    I've booked several training courses for Sept/Oct including the new OFSTED framework briefing.I'm also familiarising myself with roles of the named governors and the clerk.
    I'm concerned we don't appear to have a good portfolio of evidence of monitoring and reporting on school visits and being a 'critical friend' so I've started to look into this.
    We currently have 3 governor vacancies due to gov's leaving due to frustration of the conduct by existing chair so I wanted to ensure we have proper governor inductions which we currently don't have.
    I have a lot of relationships to re build between governors and staff/parents including the head which the current CoG destroyed in less than a year so thought we could invite staff to sub committees, inset day for both staff and gov's. Our new SIP is brillant and very supportive.
    What else could I look at??

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Welcome to TES, Emerald.
    Is it a done deal?

4. Thanks for the welcome
    Well nothing is ever a done deal until voted in but no other governor is able or willing to stand and rather than a vote of no confidence it has been suggested that maybe governors could say it would be nice to have a change in a hope that night make life a bit easier. Despite being told not to tell the chair I have emailed to say I will be standing and I've emailed the clerk. The chair does have a stressful job so might not even stand.

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

wow! If only all chairs were that well prepared before they took office school governance would be so much improved.
    You are doing all the right things.
    Have a look at the National College for School Leadership site for more ideas on Chairs effectiveness. You have to register as a member but it's free.
    Think about the skills of the governing body, possibly by doing a skills audit (LA Governor Services may be able to help, or there's loads of online stuff). Make sure you don't end up doing everything yourself. Building the GB team, strength in depth, is vital.

6. Huge thanks x
    I already know most of the staff, get on with the head and deputy and have been the governor dealing with complaints so I'm hoping that's a good start. When collecting my children today the SENCo gave me a thankyou card which was a surprise. However it doesn't stop me from being nervous about taking on the role.
    That website is just what I need.
    I will make sure I don't do everything, I can't I have 4 children at home. We have some good members but I need to bring out the best of some of them. We have staff governor who I believe doesn't actually understand her role. I'm thinking maybe a buddy up idea might work for new governors

7. staxis

staxis New commenter

This is something that we do. Let's face it, being a new governor is very daunting.

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Or not as the case may be ...

9. As i said above I don't see it as a done deal even if some of the other governors do, however I must admit I didn't realise the chair was the bully others have claimed he was.
    Thanks for pointing out the obvious though