1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for baby - things to make. Suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by FoundationStage!, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I have three weeks of school hols left. My husband and I have just moved into our new house and things are pretty sorted. I am thinking that it would be nice for me to start making a few things as I can't decorate the nursery or build furniture. I would like to make washable baby wipes and muslin squares. I have a sewing machine and my Mum is gifted at sewing - I am hoping I have this innate skill!! Never tried though so will find out soon.
    I have found a pattern for a baby sling on a US site called Karma Baby. Am thinking of picking out some fabric and trying that out too.
    Has anyone else been DIYing their resources for baby? Just wondering if you have any other ideas to occupy my time as otherwise I will spend three weeks watching Come Dine With Me and Two and A Half Men reruns!!
    Cheers,
    FS! 18+6

2. Hi everyone,
    I have three weeks of school hols left. My husband and I have just moved into our new house and things are pretty sorted. I am thinking that it would be nice for me to start making a few things as I can't decorate the nursery or build furniture. I would like to make washable baby wipes and muslin squares. I have a sewing machine and my Mum is gifted at sewing - I am hoping I have this innate skill!! Never tried though so will find out soon.
    I have found a pattern for a baby sling on a US site called Karma Baby. Am thinking of picking out some fabric and trying that out too.
    Has anyone else been DIYing their resources for baby? Just wondering if you have any other ideas to occupy my time as otherwise I will spend three weeks watching Come Dine With Me and Two and A Half Men reruns!!
    Cheers,
    FS! 18+6

3. What about a patchwork quilt? A frend of mine made me a baby sized one with a girl side and a boy side (as we aren't finding out what we're having). Perfect for the pram! It's so lovely.
    Or, you could easily make some baby after bath wraps/towels with some towelling material. Just a flat piece with a hood stitched on! I'm going to have a look at some in the shops to think about sizes/shapes of pieces needed.
    You could make some cushions for your nursing chair?
    I think it's a lovely idea to make things for your baby. I'll be trying to do the same! [​IMG]
    Choc 22 + 5

4. Choc, what a thoughtful friend you have! I have decided to find out the gender much to my entire family's disgust!! I would like stuff to be white for a newborn but now I keep thinking perhaps I should wait until the 20 week scan then choose fabrics! Talk about indecisive...
    I have read that you can make your own terry boosters for night time cloth nappies using old towels. Not a bad idea! Could also make the baby towels from those as you mentioned.
    I would like to buy the bottom of the range glider chair and stool from John Lewis although the cushions aren't great so another great idea - thank you!
    Take a look at this, they make it look so easy. The ones on the site that they sell are reversible - plain on one side for Dad and patterned for Mum. Sorry if that seems stereotypical but it seems good to have two wraps in one. Could change it to match your outfit:
    http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php

5. My mum is fantastic at sewing so she is in the process of making us loads of things for Bump's nursery.

Curtains
    Black out blind
    Nappy stacker
    Crib bumper
    Bedding
    Laundry bag

I, on the other hand, am slightly less confident when sewing so my list so far includes

Bunting for the nursery (using the leftover fabric from the curtains and bedding)
    A pillowcase for my new V shaped support pillow

We're still decorating our house and I am in danger of spending all my free time watching 16 and Pregnant and Four Weddings!

Bumbly 31+6

6. Hi Bumbly,
    Your Mum is busy! Do you know what you are having?
    I am sure my Mum is on tenterhooks waiting to make all these things. I think I am having a girl but it's all controversial as my parents don't want to know the gender and I do! Ha! Maybe it's just as well as Mum is a big believer in the pink and blue laws. She is getting all excited about buying baby clothes and I have said don't buy anything itchy for a girl - I can imagine her now in layers of netting under the pretty dress. I have lived that life and am not keen for my daughter to have to scratch and cry just to look pretty!
    That is why I want to start making things myself so that I can learn to do things my way! Mum made my gorgeous wedding dress though exactly as I asked for it so maybe I am being a bit mean about her going ahead with ruffles etc.!
    I have managed to avoid TV these hols so far but only because we don't have one in the bedroom where I sleep in until midday! Are you doing the deorating youreselves? What are your plans for the nursery?
    FS! 19 weeks today. [​IMG]

7. Hi FS,
    I would recommend a book called 'The Resourceful Mum's Handbook'. I initially borrowed it from the library then bought my own copy as I liked it so much. It has lots of ideas and clear instructions on how to make things like bibs, cot mobiles etc as well as practical advice on what you really need for a baby, avoiding unnecessary gimmicks.
    I did not write the book or anything!

8. Hi Sarah, That book looks great, thanks for the recommendation. I think I'll be ordering it from Amazon today! I also saw How to Afford Time Off with your Baby: 101 Ways to Ease the Financial Strain which I might also buy. Gosh, all these intentions to not overspend and I want everything I see!
    I went to John Lewis today. They had really thin cotton muslin which looked utterly useless - far too flimsy. They said they are overdue an order of butter muslin but I Googled that and it also looks thin.
    Mums, the muslin squares that you have: are they made of one or several layers of muslin? I was feeling smug in the shop as muslin squares can be overpriced but muslin on the roll is £1.50. That soon changed when I realised the stuff won't stand up to the job!

9. Hi FS

We decided not to find out what we're having. I was convinced I was having a boy, but recently I've been referring to Bump as 'she'. Maybe it's motherly intuition? If your mum is gifted enough to make a wedding dress, I'm sure she can turn her hand to a few ruffle free dresses! [​IMG]

We're doing all the decorating ourselves (with a huge amount of help from my parents). Unfortunately, I'm on painting and tea making duty as they're the only jobs which don't require me waddling up a set of ladders! The nursery is the only almost completed room so I go in there when I want to escape the decorating chaos. We opted for neutral Laura Ashley wallpaper, but I bought some Peter Rabbit fabric from ebay for mum to make the curtains.

Have you planned out your nursery yet? I bet you're looking forward to your 20 week scan! Mine feels like years ago.

Take care,
    Bumbly (32 weeks today [​IMG]) x

10. Hi again FS,
    Oh yes I have that other book too, it's also good!
    I have stocked up on some muslin squares already, someone said that Tesco ones are very thin and don't last well so I got some from Mothercare but tbh I'm a bit disappointed with them as well, also pretty thin. In one book someone suggested using tea towels, in some ways that makes sense as they are much thicker than muslins so would prob last longer and feel softer.

11. Thanks, Saarah - tea towels are a good idea too! I shall trawl the fabric shops soon and consider tea towels if I can't find the right muslin. Annoying though, I thought it would be easy to find!