1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for baby - ideas of things to make please!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by FoundationStage!, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    This will sound blindly optimistic but here goes... I have three weeks of school hols left. My
    husband and I have just moved into our new house and things are pretty
    sorted. I am thinking that it would be nice for me to start making a few
    things as I can't decorate the nursery or build furniture. I would like
    to make washable baby wipes and muslin squares. I have a sewing machine
    and my Mum is gifted at sewing - I am hoping I have this innate skill!!
    Never tried though so will find out soon enough.
    I have found a pattern
    for a baby sling on a US site called Karma Baby. Am thinking of picking
    out some fabric and trying that out too:
    http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php
    Has anyone else been
    DIYing their resources for baby? Just wondering if you have any other
    ideas to occupy my time as otherwise I will spend three weeks watching
    Come Dine With Me and Two and A Half Men reruns!!
    Cheers,
    FS! 18+6

2. Hi everyone,
    This will sound blindly optimistic but here goes... I have three weeks of school hols left. My
    husband and I have just moved into our new house and things are pretty
    sorted. I am thinking that it would be nice for me to start making a few
    things as I can't decorate the nursery or build furniture. I would like
    to make washable baby wipes and muslin squares. I have a sewing machine
    and my Mum is gifted at sewing - I am hoping I have this innate skill!!
    Never tried though so will find out soon enough.
    I have found a pattern
    for a baby sling on a US site called Karma Baby. Am thinking of picking
    out some fabric and trying that out too:
    http://www.mykarmababy.com/pages/BabySlingPattern.php
    Has anyone else been
    DIYing their resources for baby? Just wondering if you have any other
    ideas to occupy my time as otherwise I will spend three weeks watching
    Come Dine With Me and Two and A Half Men reruns!!
    Cheers,
    FS! 18+6

3. My mum made us a huge wall hanging of the Hungry Caterpillar which is absolutely fab - and I also use to point items out and say - "Butterfly, Caterpillar, Strawberry, Orange, Green" etc. LO loves it. So rather than buy expensive pictures for your nursery you could make wall hangings / cushions etc?
    You could make a blanket for the pram (but best not for sleeping).
    My mum also made me a nursing pillow - although, it was a little too plump so I just used it as a decorative cushion.
    She also made a playmat out of different brightly coloured fabrics.
    You see, my mum's the sewer in my family!
    But they are wonderful and totally unique.
    If you can do it, go for it. Other mums will be very envious!

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I spent last summer hols getting ready for LO's arrival in December. It was great- just in to the 2nd trimester so had loads of energy and got so excited about the baby! I went to a few carboots and bought some gorgeous clothes etc, all practically brand new for pennies. I also made a wall hanging for her nursery, made of Beatrix Potter printed fabric from ebay with all the animal characters on- her room has a Peter Rabbit theme. So easy to make, just bought a cheap large photo frame and stretched the fabric over the insert and taped down then put inside the frame. I screwed it to the wall as OH was scared of it falling over the cot. My mum took me out to buy some fabric for curtains, we got a gorgeous end of line roll from Laura Ashley in ice cream colour stripes and she made the curtains for me, then I used the remnants to make some bunting for the nursery. Just cut out a cardboard traingle template, cut pieces of fabric this shape with a 2cm hem, then fold over some pretty ribbon (hobbycraft, John Lewis do nice ones) and tuck the hems in and sew round the edges. My favourite thing in the nursery is her first proper little dress that she wore at Christmas when she was 2 weeks old, it's hanging on a satin hanger on the wall.
    It was really nice having time to get the room sorted and babygros washed and put away etc before I went back to work until October half term. When I started mat leave I was far too huge, uncomfortable and grumpy to do much so I was glad to have things done already. Have fun!

5. I agree, do it while you have the energy! Like kittens, I got my nursery all ready in the summer holidays (I was going to suggest bunting too, LO loves hers!). When I was actually on maternity leave I started a cross stitch. It's still only about a quarter done as LO arrived and I haven't picked it up since. It's an alphabet one, maybe I'll get it done by the time LO actually knows what an alphabet is!
    Also, what about a patchwork quilt- easy and lovely?!

6. Thanks for all these fabulous ideas! I have been trawling the internet for fabrics. I didn't think waiting to find out the baby's gender would affect my colour choice and yet here I am thinking "that's for boys and those are for girls".
    Did you all know your baby's gender when you started making these fabulous items?

7. kittenmittens

I knew I was having a girl from my 20 week scan, but the sonogropher wasn't totally sure she was a girl as she was wriggling so much. So I went for pale yellow for the nursery walls which matched the laminate floor and cream cotbed. The fabric for the curtains was pale yellow, pink, blue and cream stripes and we chose Peter Rabbit for the theme as it was neutral. Also, I'll save all the nursery stuff for our second baby as it's neutral. I'm doing an Alice In Wonderland bedroom for LO when she's older as that's her name- excited about this already!
    When is your scan? Are you planning to find out the sex? Remember you can have a neytral nusery and then add more girly/ boyish bits later when you know the gender of the baby, we were given quite a lot of pink stuff so my Lo's nursery does look a but girly but not too over the top which I like.

8. Hi Kittens,
    that is good advice. We have the 20 week scan on 24th August and I would like to know the baby's gender. My parents don't want to know the gender which is very irritating but I have decided everyone else has had their children and done it their way - now it's my turn! It would help with the nursery to have an idea! To be honest, for the first year I plan to co-sleep at night and have the baby sleep downstairs in an Amby hammock during the day. I would like a glider chair and footstool in the nursery, wardrobes with the baby's clothes and perhaps a changing unit. They won't be sleeping in there for a while so it is pretty much my second bedroom - ha ha! My husband thinks he will need to get up in the night and sleep in the spare room/his office (second largest bedroom) so I won't need to vacate to the glider chair every night. I suppose there is only so much I can plan at this stage.
    It is all very exciting and rather overwhelming. I can't wait to find out if the baby is okay at the next scan. My parents' first baby was stillborn but I told them to stop freaking me out by saying "hopefully" everytime I spoke about the baby. My first baby was ectopic so I think I have already had my run of bad luck. This time I can enjoy the whole process!
    I think I will start with buying some plain muslin from John Lewis and start making wipes and muslin squares - that will help me to become familiar with sewing and occupy time until I know the gender in two weeks and can start the projects you have all suggested.
    Thanks!!

9. Hi,
    My friend made a lovely ribbon notice board for my baby. I think you can see how if you google ribbon bulletin board. His is blue gingham fabic with navy blue ribbons crisscrossed - you can tuck photos, cards etc in. It's lovely! You could do green/ yellow if (like me!!) you can't find out the sex because baby has its legs crossed in the scan ha ha!
    One of my baby friends has a lovely patchwork playmat which folds up small and she takes it around with her so baby can play if they are at a house with no playmat etc (avoid getting sick on people's carpet) - her mum makes them and it is so lovely.
    I personally am completely talentless and just painted his room yellow. By the way they have nice blackout blinds at dunelm mill (ours is noah's ark theme) if you are on the lookout.
    Hope it all goes well for you and hope you can enjoy this time without worrying too much. You will have to show pics if you make anything we have suggested!

10. That is so pretty and thoughtful. Blackout blinds sound like a must although should be lucky for a few months with the baby due in January!

11. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

It is such an exciting time and you are right to enjoy all the preparation. I chose some gender-neutral Cath kidston fabric (circus??) And made black-out curtains and some bunting with the left-overs. I knitted a chunky pram blanket, used really thick wool and big needles, it was really easy. I also got some gingham ribbon and attached a couple of lengths of it to the wall. I bought some bright coloured pegs and have pegged on his first little baby shoes, mothers'and fathers' day cards, photos of family, a little teddy etc. It looks really effective and you can add bits and bobs as you go along. I know a girl who made a lovely cot mobile too. I think its made from felt, so quite easy to cut out shapes and stick on top of eachother. Ooh, there's just so much!! Have fun making a lovely room for your new arrival, they will be here sooner than you know!

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Your ideas sound great, have to admit I wouldn't have bothered with resuable wipes lol!

13. i've done a cross stitch of the 4 main winnie the pooh characters to frame and hang on his nursery wall. kept me busy for weeks and weeks!

14. Thanks, Kittenjames and Spider! More great ideas!
    Hhhh, it is the reusuable wipes that keep me awake at night - I feel those and the muslin squares are the only things I can start at the moment. So I intend to buy fabric and binding today from John Lewis!
    [​IMG]

15. i accidentally bought two pairs of nursery curtains on ebay (pregnancy brain!) and so i hung the ones i prefer and my aunt (who's a whizz with the sewing machine) has turned the other pair into a cot quilt and bunting to hang around the nursery. the curtains were less than £10 a pair posted off ebay.

16. kittenmittens

Think of the money you will save too. Reusable wipes will save loads, I admit I'm too lazy to use them or reusable nappies but like the idea! Also a homemade nursery will cost much less than a designer Mamas and Papas one and will be so much more unique. I love the fact that nobody else's baby has the same nursery decor as mine! (M&P do gorgeous stuff but it is sooo expensive, we couldn't justify it).

17. Spider, that is a good result!
    Kitten, we just went to M&P on Oxford St. What a lot of overpriced furniture! The cots cost more than our own brand new kingsize bed!
    I also went to John Lewis today. They had really thin cotton muslin which
    looked utterly useless - far too flimsy. They said they are overdue an
    order of butter muslin but I Googled that and it also looks thin.
    Mums,
    the muslin squares that you have: are they made of one or several
    layers of muslin? I was feeling smug in the shop as muslin squares can
    be overpriced but muslin on the roll is £1.50 per metre. That soon changed when I
    realised the fabric won't stand up to the job!

18. I cannot recommend enough the book - Lotta Jansdotter's simple sewing for baby: 24 simple sewing projects for newborns to toddlers. It is really easy to follow and there are patterns included too, its fab I made loads of things since LO was born and really wish I had bought it when I was preggers!. xx

19. Hi Trixie, this also looks like a great book. I am considering getting them from the library and then trying to gleam as much info as possible. Otherwise I will have spent a fortune on books and will have no money left for the materials! I have just bought a couple of maternity tops in the ASOS sale and bought a couple of maternity dresses today. Perhaps I should save money by making my own clothes...
    [​IMG]

20. I can't wait to get paid - I have spent so much money and am watching a thousand items on eBay! Made a killer saving tonight at IKEA though - they have these hand towels for 19p each. They are thin but will make a nice job lot of reusable wipes once I cut and sew them. They are 40x60cm so a reasonable size. We bought 20 for £3.80!