1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparing for an interview in SEN

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by See_Elle, Oct 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. See_Elle

See_Elle New commenter

I have an interview coming up does not involve an example lesson, it is solely relying on the interview. The job is working in SEN, can anyone suggest any likely questions that could come up?

2. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

What type of SEN ? Is it a teaching role ? More detail would help

See_Elle and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

Happened to me once although they did ask me to fulfill a TA role in a literacy lesson so they could see how I interacted with the kids. The job itself was for a science HoD role and I was asked to present how I would adapt the physics syllabus to meet the needs of children with mild - moderate learning disabilities. Plus management and general questions. The interview was about 30 minutes

See_Elle likes this.
  4. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 New commenter

You could get asked questions about the Code of Practice SEND (2014), how you would implement it etc... other popular areas could be asking for examples of your experience in:
    Multi Agency working
    Contribution to Annual Reviews
    Implementation/planning of Individual Education Plans/Pupil Centred Plans
    Involving parents and pupils in provision
    Strategies for behaviour management
    Use of assessment/tracking systems to show progress, when the usual systems don't show it.
    Knowledge of interventions/adaptations/ reasonable adjustments under the Disability Equality Laws, to support pupils with different types of SEND. Get conversant with the categories of SEND and some examples of how you might help pupils with various difficulties or disabilities under each area. Good luck.

grumpydogwoman and See_Elle like this.
  5. See_Elle

See_Elle New commenter

Thanks, the role is teaching. I currently work in SEN but more with BESD, whereas this role works with SEN students with complex difficulties, medical issues and communication difficulties.

6. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I think having worked with students with BEMH you can use your experience to talk about your 'transferable skills ' . I think you will have to do your homework re the types of SEND you are likely to address in this position but google is your friend !

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

All of the above and also consider having a bank of ‘examples’ in your head eg how you engaged a difficult child, an example where a child made accelerated progress etc etc.
    They will want to know lots about impact eg ‘how will you know you’re successful’.
    Undoubtably Safeguarding will come up.
    They will ask how you worked effectively in a team (or something to that nature).

8. See_Elle

See_Elle New commenter

I have just found our that I got the job, thank you for your help, time to write up my resignation letter now!!!!

Salmz88 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 New commenter

Congratulations, that’s wonderful. Hope you really enjoy it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.