1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

preparing bottles

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Wylfie, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Just a uick question guys. I've had advice from several people but when you prepare water for LO's bottles for the day do you then keep them in the fridge or at room temperature on the side?!

2. I keep mine at room temperature on the side. You'll hear lots of conflicting advice about this! I make sure i don't leave the water out for more than a couple of hours and cover it.

3. I was reading a friend's NHS birth to 5 book the other day and it said that it's important to use hot water to mix formula as formula is not 'sterile' and therefore you need the water to be added whilst still hot to kill any bacteria that may be present in the formula. Can't remember exact temp I'm afraid.
    Hope this helps x

4. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

It's over 70 degrees. The formula tin says to leave the kettle to cool for 30 mins after boiling to get it to the right temp, but apparently it depends on the type of kettle you use and how much water is in it, so 10-15 mins is probably better.
    It's tricky... I've come across lots of different ways that mums prepare and store bottles. Some make up each feed fresh using hot water and then cool- fine if your baby feeds like clockwork and you can anticipate the feed half an hour or so before they need it. Some sterilise all the bottles, make up feeds with hot water, flash cool in the sink with cold water then store in the back of the fridge for up to 24 hours to be warmed to room temperature when needed. This is what I do, it always used to be advised as fine to do until recently. Other people sterilise bottles, fill with boiled water then store in whatever way until they add powder, but like you say the water won't be hot enough to kill bacteria then. Somebody else I know has a good system- they have 2 kettles, one to boil up hot water to use and one to store cooled boiled water. They add the formula to each bottle when needed with 2/3 hot water, shake up, then add the cooled water to make up the full amount and cool it down instantly.
    I also take cartons out and about with a sealed sterilised bottle to decant into. Expensive, but I could never face messing about with powder and a thermos in a cafe or whatever!

5. Here is a link to WHO guidelines on preparing formula http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/pif2007/en/index.html

Basically says if you can't make each one fresh (and who really can!) then 2nd best is to make up with boiling water, cool quickly and store in back of fridge as another poster said. Sounds like a pretty nifty idea to have the 2 kettle system though. They are very clear that the water must be hot as the powder is not sterile. Loads of people seem to make it with cooled boiled water though and haven't had any problems.

6. When we first switched to mix/formula feeding I was adamant that I was going to make sure the water was hot enough to kill bacteria in the powder, but then I watched hoardes of women putting milk powder into cooled boiled water, shaking it up and giving it to babies so that's what I did. She was fine! We'd put the water in the sterilised bottles and the powder in a little milk powder dispenser.

7. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I went through all of this last time around, making sure that the kettle was freshly boiled each time, adding the powder quickly and then letting it all cool down together... then saw a friend stick a bottle from the fridge in the microwave, and I started doing this. The current advice is obviously to play it really safe - which makes sense but isn't entirely practical. In practice, this time around if I need bottles before 6 months I'm planning on making it half a day in advance, so probably boiling the kettle and adding water into 3 bottles, sterilising and filling the powder dispenser with 3 lots of powder and then starting again later. I always keep a small packet of ready made stuff for emergencies as well just in case.
    The only person I knew who always played it safe and started from scratch every time was one whose twins were very premature and she was understandably anxious about any kind of bacteria, she used ready made every time she was out and boiled anew every time at home.

8. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Official advice is not to make up in advannce, but people do. Either of the ways you say.