1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparation for the new year!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bestupplyteacher, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Hello everyone!

At the moment it is all the back too school sales which is a perfect time for teachers to stock up on stationary! I went to Wilko the other day and got LOTS for only £10! It is good to stock you bag up especially when your marking pens and pencils are running out! What do you do when you are preparing for September?[​IMG]

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

BST

I try to buy things when I see them on sale and also at Pound Land. My most recent crafty tactic is to pick up any lost pencils and pens off the floor after lessons which I deem as mine.

I also pick up pens at hotels and banks when I can. Not many - just one or two if they are giving them away.

Whiteboard pens I get from the schools. I try not to spend too much of my personal money.

The one thing I am trying to budget fornis some new clothes.

3. Good plan. I will try this out in September!

4. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

Why are you buying classroom equipment? Supply teachers already get paid significantly less than their full time colleagues. It sets a really dangerous precedent if you a. accept low pay and then b. pay for other people's stuff. You are not expected to provide stationery or other equipment. The money you earn is for you. You wouldn't buy a kid a new blazer if they rocked up without uniform on. If students have failed to live up to classroom expectations and arrived not equipped for class, it is their problem and most schools have some sort of sanction which is logged on Sims or in the students' planners. I find enough pens and stationery lying around on the floor as in Pepper's example. The number of kids who use the excuse of not having a pen as a delaying tactic and then miraculously find one when you ask for their planner! By the same token, schools will have arrangements for families who are suffering genuine hardship and will discretely provide them with stationery and uniform. Don't do it. Stuff Big Society (just look at the acronym in case you didn't get our leader's joke).

5. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I buy the odd packet of cheap board markers now and then and thats it. I never paid for "tools of the job" in previous non-teaching posts and am not going to start now.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

B.S.

HA HA, very good [​IMG] I had never noticed that.

7. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

I agree. Supply teachers shouldn't be buying any equipment themselves.

8. neli

neli Occasional commenter

I don't want to be hauling a truck load of stuff around. I want to waltz in with my handbag!

Isn't that a Supply perk?

(Please don't disillusion me further, I've already had the Trainers talk)

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi neli

I moved my bag from the living room to the bed room this morning and it is way too heavy, but each time I try to minimise what I take, I just can't seem to empty it to make it manageable. You are right that you should try to take as little as possible since you don't want to carry it all around - the job is hard enough as it is without having to pack stuff all aout like you are on a route march which sometimes I think I am!

The problem is that most of the time, I need the things in it: pocket tissues, notes on a particular subject, stickers for the kids, water, a small dictionary to check something, a small grammar book, time fillers etc...spare pens and pencils, white board markers, lunch.

I am, however, going to have another go at trying to minimise what I take.

WW - the only things I tend to buy now are stickers which are really inexpensive from Amazon and reference books I use for my own benefit to keep up with subjects. I will occasionally buy white board markers but I try to use the schools.

10. neli

I'm sure I'll be the same Pepper but, I'm going to try my best. Someone suggested a book too in case you are all alone at lunch time, more heaviness!

Do most Schools not have access to a computer at lunch time? If so, I'd be quite happy to amuse myself that way. I might even have a snoop at their resources to see what could be adapted.

Maybe you could cut back on the reference books and time fillers. How often do you actually use them? and, they are quite heavy.

My sister has kindly donated some pens, coloured pencils, felt tips, handwriting pens (she thinks these are crucial but, she is secondary English, I'll hopefully be keeping them for myself, they make your handwriting look so much nicer) some Biros and dry wipe markers. So,all I need is a nice new pencil case,a sharpener, rubber and some highlighters, feeling quite sorted on the stationary side :)

Then trainers, post its, lunch, water, impulse, tissues and the kitchen sink!

11. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Bargain stores such as Poundland, 99p stores and B&M bargains are usually the best places to shop in terms of cheap stationery for school use. You can keep well stocked doing this; and it doesn't break the bank too!

Although it is normal for absent teachers to set cover work for supply teachers, there may be occasions where staff go on unexpected leave (illness, bereavement etc) and therefore, although the HOD (secondary) or KS Leader (primary) will be responsible, it does not always happen, so I suggest purchasing a workbook full of 'worksheets'- obviously variable for different subjects and age groups and you can photo copy these then! Works books can be purchased from WHSmith or Waterstones, even Amazon will sell them!

12. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi jago123

I have thought about worksheets and have loads of worksheets mainly from the internet and things I've picked up on the job. The biggest problem I have in secondary is finding somewhere to photocopy it since I won't have a code for the photocopier and also the time to do it. I do not work in primary so it might be different especially if there is a class T A who can help.

I would say that out of the several years I have worked on supply I can only count about three times where I did not have work left for me and most of the time the work is of a high standard. My only complaint a out work left is when the answers for maths and science are not left. Funnily enough most of the time maths and science teachers don't leave answers.

I know teachers who also bring resources on USB sticks. I haven't tried it, since many times I won't have access to a login or computer, so I manage with just a whiteboard and marker. In some ways it is easier since moving around from room to room in secondary means not a lot of time to set up in those crucial first 5 minutes of settling a class.

For stickers, try Amazon. The stickers and postage are very cheap.

13. neli

I always think a blank sheet of paper brings out the best in pupils ;-)

14. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Pepper5,

It usually is common for work to be set, especially in a secondary school. If the class teacher is unable to set this for whatever reason the HOD or another colleague will do it, this is because they can't afford for students to fall behind with the curriculum as they are on tight timescales as it is and what you will tend to find 9 times out of 10 is that the worksheets are usually irrelevant to what the class is currently studying and therefore will be of no use.

Schools nowadays have pass codes set to the photocopier preventing in the unauthorised use as you can imagine the cost to keep one of these in operation is highly extortionate! If you do need to use it, talk to the office staff or the cover manager.

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

hi jago123

Totally agree as you will note from my post two up from this one. I do carry some worksheets, but hardly have ever used them since as you say the work is usually set. Out of almost six years of supply teaching only five times has work never been set; as you say, the work set is according to the curriculum so the students do not get behind. There have been times, however, that what I did have on me proved useful mainly in drama or in music. I carry things around like level appropriate spelling games and or 5 minute fillers. Things I can use easily for the last five minutes of a class if appropriate - the last three or four minutes between tidying up the room and the bell ringing. I also carry notes around with things I can refer to when I teach particular subjects.

You are right photocopiers are expensive things to run as I well know from owning one and using it in my husband's law practice and I feel bad when I use his resources for printing things out that I may need. He is gracious though most of the time and does not complain I am eating into his profit.

At schools when I have needed the photocopier I usually ask some poor soul to help me out. Sometimes I feel like I am asking for the crown jewels so I try to do without if I can and only ask for photocopying in a real emergency.

I know teachers who probably carry nothing more with them than a small pencil case if that. If they don't have fillers or games or anything else their attitude is probably tough luck if the classes get bored or they let them talk the last few minutes waiting for the bell to ring. My attitude is every minute counts and I try to keep the students working right up until the bell rings with no time wasted.

16. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I went through my "stationery" drawer and had a bit of a clear out. That makes me feel better and more organised. Other than that, I haven't done anything. I updated my CV a while back.

I organised a bunch of novels that I want to take along with me and read in my lunch hour. I need to get some work clothes,

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Sainsburys has some good offers on stationary at the moment.

18. I know! I like stationary they have at the moment.

19. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

spell check

Stationary - standing still

Stationery - paper goods.

20. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

One way to remember the difference is to think stationery has an e for envelope.