1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparation for School Direct Dance interview (secondary)

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by lauragallagher, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lauragallagher

lauragallagher New commenter

I was wondering if anyone could help me!!

After a long winded application process I have finally bagged myself an interview for a school direct place for Dance.

I do have a huge amount of teaching experience and have just recently left the Diploma in Dance Teaching and Learning down at Trinity Laban due to financial circumstances - up to the point of leaving the course ive completed a lot of assessments with regards to planning and delivering dance lessons. However,

I've been emailed the details for my interview next week (not a huge amount of time to prepare for)
    And they have informed me that I will be teaching a 40 min class to a year 7 group of girls / the email states that I should assume that they have very little or no dance experience and this lesson will be considered an 'introductory lesson'

Ive undertaken a lot of work placements in secondary schools across all age ranges and key stages but I have no idea how to approach this lesson planning AT ALL.

With having no idea of the background or prior learning of the students I'm really unsure what style/topic to base the lesson around or how I can filter creativity into the class to show the kind of teacher I aim to be.

Can anybody please provide me with ANY ideas on what they might do/have done for their own interviews?! A part of me wishes I had a bunch of GCSE students to teach but then again that is my comfort zone so it is always good to be out of it every once in a while!

Thanks in advance! X

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I know NOTHING about dance, so this is some generic advice:

- You need to have a clear lesson objective for this 40 min session (what do you want them to know or be able to do by the end of the session)
    - Break up the 40 mins into some kind of starter task, then maybe you show them how to do something, then they try it themselves, then you give them feedback
    - What do Key Stage 3 children learn in dance in years 7-9? This would be their first ever dance lesson, by the sounds of the email, so what is the very first skill they need to develop in order to be able to do the other stuff later on? Some kind of simple dance move maybe?

The kids you will teach on the day may never have actually had a dance lesson before, so you really will be doing an intro session with them - can you check the website of the school where your interview is, to see if they actually do dance lessons there? It may be that the school just offers PE, so you will be teaching PE students in your lesson. In that case they honestly would have no prior knowledge of the subject. Even if dance is taught at the school, the kids might be told to pretend they know nothing for your lesson.

Good luck! :)

pepper5 likes this.