1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparation for International Teaching contract in August

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Ali12345, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hello
    I have recently signed a contract for a job in South East Asia, starting in August. Can anybody give me any hints/tips in terms of preparing for this position?

1. Insurance - personal and travel insurance - good providers, what cover I would need etc? I will be taking camera's, netbook etc.
    2. Teaching Unions - does it apply (its an English School)? Is there an oversea's teaching union etc? Teacher Pensions - does this apply or will I need to take out a private pension?
    3. Any advice on travelling whilst out there (its a 3 yr contract)?
    4. Any additional hints/tips that would be worth thinking about?

This is my first oversea's posting therefore any help would be very much appreciated!
    Thank you in advance!
    Ali

2. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hi there,
    There are a few things I have found out so far:
    1. Check your contract, you might get it (health insurance). With regards to UK travel insurance - it won't apply as you are not travelling as such. You should get travel and home insurance locally. You will need to say which country you are in for specifics. Your new work mates should have some reccomendations.
    2. There are none and you won't be covered by the UK one, but it might be worth checking with yours to see if there is anything that would be useful abroad.
    3. Do it! Take the holiday times and go where ever you want to.
    4. Check if your school can set you up with a 'buddy'. This was you can have someone to ask specific questions to.
    Good luck and congratulations.

3. Hey
    Thank you very much for the info. Its a new school, therefore nothing set up yet. So insurances - personal for items as well as travel is best in-country?
    Do you teach abroad at the moment? What pension have you taken out?
    Many thanks
    Ali

4. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I knew there was something I missed!
    I'm starting my first post in August. I have been told that you cannot pay into the TPS when abroad, so you would be best call them to discuss. I guess it depends when you are in your career. You also need to check national insurance and tax refunds (we will be leaving part way through a financial year so should be due a refund).
    In my former life I underwrote personal lines insurance. For your travel insurance to be valid (i.e. for traveling outside the country you are residing in) you need to get it in country, same for personal belongings/house insurance. Look for an international company if you can, or one that is connected to a financial institution in good standing. You will be outside of the UK for too long for policies to cover you. There MAY be the odd policy that I haven't heard of but all I know of have time limits.
    Do you mind if I ask where you are teaching? Wellie Coll? You can PM me. The school, new or not, will be able to advise on banking, health insurance etc. You might be best to set up an international HSBC account before you go. My school sets up my account for me before I get there, but I doubt all schools do this. Check with your HR people.
    Check my WOW!... thread, a few good tips on there from people...along with a some people panacking about having enough travel adaptors. [​IMG]

5. I have recently signed a contract for a job in South East Asia, starting in August. Can anybody give me any hints/tips in terms of preparing for this position?
    Ali, dear...the correct use of the apostrophe would be useful...

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Careful, Bandstreet, some of the newer regulars can be a bit touchy when you criticise OPs.
    [​IMG]

7. Well put MM, but not getting any right at all is not a good show.
    I am curious as a three year contract has been offered...that's a big one!
    Teachers' pensions (from UK) while abroad - don't think you can do that now.

8. Sorry, I didn't realise I was in some pretentious school yard discussing grammar...I thought this was a supportive environment to share information??
    Thanks for the feedback so far regarding jobs etc.

9. It's both. And more.

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Welcome back FP.
    Lots of highly sensitive souls around the boards at the moment; slightest criticism and they get they knickers all twisted. Sugar coated advice is all they're looking for. Of course, I've done my best to meet their expectations...[​IMG]

11. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

What is pretentious about writing properly when sharing information supportively with fellow professionals?
    I'm not one for pouncing on other people's typos and grammar 'peculiarities' but nor am I defensive-aggressive about my own. (Two mighty howlers in my last post)
    Better to be alerted here, by supportive colleagues, than by your students later on. In a good school in SE Asia you will lose plenty of face if you write oversea's, twice, on a whiteboard in front of any class of students aged over 10.

12. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

To be a bit more gracious and contribute some advice: Your original post highlights two necessities which may end up in opposition.
    Travel? Yes, I should think very few of us launch an overseas career without one of the motives being travel - spending as much of the school holidays as possible, exploring the regions and countries for which your new home is a base.
    On the other hand, given the impossibility of paying in to the TP from where you will be, there is the need to accumulate savings, in pension funds or elsewhere, for the future.
    If you commit yourself to massive regular instalments, you may end up watching wistfully as colleagues set off on journeys-of-a-lifetime while you take the metro to the city's museums (again).
    Accumulate five-figure sums during each term only to blow them on spectacular expeditions, and you may find that the golden memories of travel and adventure do not quite suffice to keep your aged bones warm many years hence.
    This probably isn't a balance you can establish here and now before your first venture: once you arrive, assess the lifestyle choices of your new colleagues and see which of them has managed to combine prudence with pleasure.
    What did George Best say? "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." Something like that.

13. Better to be alerted here, by supportive colleagues, than by your students later on.
    Thank you, SMT dude. That was the spirit of my comment. No offence was meant.

14. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

Congrats on securing an overseas post Ali, did you apply for the post through TES or through a recruitment agency?

15. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I don't know how typical it is.
    But my current employer pays into a pension for me and will give me the money when I leave the country - regardless of my age.
    So I will take it home and invest it in a bond or such till retirement.
    But as I said - I don't know how many international schools do that.

16. Gratuity/pension...?

17. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Pension - 12%
    that's the word used in the contract and on the pay slip