1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Preparation for applying for jobs!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by woods7, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Hi all.

I am doing a 4 year Primary Ed course and am about to start my final year. I know that there seems to be a lot of competition for Primary jobs at the minute, and was wondering what things really stand out when applying for a job? I know it varies a bit, but I want to try and prepare as well as possible!

I have had about 6 placements/visits to schools on my course, including a small, rural school (less than 30 kids in total!) where I taught a whole KS2 class as well as a multi-cultural school with over 500 pupils,so I'm hoping these may stand out a bit as well!

Aside from this, I have done placements in local schools at home and a couple of special needs schools. I am on course for a 2:1 at uni and play several instruments. I have also been doing supply work to gain more experience/pennies!

I feel I need to do something extra to 'stand out' but I'm really not sure what this could be!

Any suggestions please?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Anything you can add to the wider life of the school through music, arts ,IT, sports can help sometimes coaching certificates or First aid can be useful in gaining a first post. The key issue really is your geographic job search area if you can make this as wide as possible that will help.