1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

prep school Y5 levels

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sparklyrainbowfish, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Hi
    roughly what levels are pupils in a good prep school in Y5? Planning an interview lesson and want to pitch it right!
    Thanks

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

ha ha, probably around level 6!!
    no.. I would expect that most would be about 4c already

3. I was thinking 4c as an average.. wasn't sure if I was way off or not!
    Also, would the kids be familiar with NC levels? (Thinking of my success criteria for the lesson) I think the school does SATs but I'm not 100% sure (if they do or why they would!)
    Thanks,
    sparkly

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I'm sure they would be familiar with levels. Probably drummed into them

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

They won't necessarily know levels at all. Many private schools near me do not follow the NC.

I would pitch your lesson at a level 4/5 level and have some extension and reinforcement work available should it be needed.

Have open ended tasks or problem solving.

6. thanks minnieminx
    I didn't think many would know NC levels, so will plan with that in mind.
    I would love to have some problem solving element, but I have been given a specific focus for the lesson (which doesn't sound interesting in itself) so I will have to really be creative to get it good! I'm getting a few ideas and will need to have a good think about what would work best.
    Thanks for the advice

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which will mean you don't get to write one of those hugely stupid posts that say "I have to teach a 20 min lesson and can't think of anything to do. I am a good teacher, but cannot for the life of me think of anything at all to do with a class for 20 mins."

Best of Luck.

8. [​IMG]
    I'm happy either way! Will happily choose my own topic or plan around a topic I've been given... Never ever felt the need for someone else to tell me what to do for an interview lesson. I just wouldn't be confident delivering something that wasn't entirely "mine" [​IMG]
    But the difference between prep school and state is one I'm not quite used to (in practice), although I have some ideas.
    Thanks again [​IMG]