1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prep for GTA job interview!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by philipjohnston1989, Jun 4, 2020.

1. philipjohnston1989

philipjohnston1989 New commenter

Hi, i have been invited for interview for a GTA position that will take place online due to Covid-19. As part of the interview i have to complete two tasks which are scenarios.

Task 1:
    Maths Task: Teaching Scenario

The teacher is teaching division methods to KS2 for example, 25 ÷3 = 4 r.1. Some of the Year 3 children are struggling to find remainders and the teacher asks you to support them. What would you do to help? What methods would you use and what resources would you choose to support your teaching?

Imagine that we are the Year 3 children and support us to find remainders. Be ready to then explain why you chose to support the children in this way.

Task 2:
    Literacy/Phonics task

A child in Year 3 is struggling to read words with split digraphs in them.

You have been asked to do some additional work with this child to help them to learn how to read these words.

Plan (and virtually deliver?) an activity/activities to help to teach this child and support them to learn how to read these sounds in words.

Imagine that we are the Year 3. How will you help us? What resources could you use?

I am just worried that my lack of school experience may cost me. If anyone can offer help and guidance on this it would be extremely helpful so i can plan my answers, thanks :)

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Congrats on your interview!

First I think you would want to make sure the children had a secure understanding of division without remainders and I would use practical resources (bears, cubes etc) to show simple division sums by grouping. Once they can show you that they understand this. Add or take away some cubes and ask a remainder question, get them to go through the same process as before but, oh look what’s happened? There are some left over but there are not enough to make a whole group. That’s your remainder.

farheennahida likes this.
  3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Good advice above.

For the phonics task, you need first to ensure the child knows which letters are vowels and which are consonants - and the letter names and sounds of the vowels. Have a collection of word cards with split digraph words on them. Show the child how the digraph is split by the consonant and talk about how, when this happens, the first vowel sound will be its letter name, not its short sound. Do lots of sounding out together, identifying the split digraph and the sound it will make before blending the sounds to read the word. If you have a double set of about 6 words, you could then play a pairs game where you have to turn a card, read the word and then find the matching pair.

Best of luck with the interview - I can imagine that an on-line interview seems even more nerve-wracking than usual! Be confident and let us know how it goes.

farheennahida likes this.