1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Premature Baby?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by rmcgill, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Anyone had a premature baby whilst teaching at school?
    http://freddiemcgill.blogspot.com/

2. Anyone had a premature baby whilst teaching at school?
    http://freddiemcgill.blogspot.com/

3. I had my son at 26 weeks in July 2011...

4. Yes, 33 weeks. x

5. bella1981

bella1981 New commenter

I had my dd at 32 weeks x

6. Did you find that there was very little in the system to supportmum's having to take maternity leave/pay much earlier than expected.
    For example, our son was born at 28wks, but was the size of 24 weeks. By the time we got home, after 85 days in hosptial, my wife only had 3 months maternity 1/2 pay left. (I think). This was when we really needed to start being parents at home ad using the money to buy essential items etc. The first 3 months in hosptial, were used to fund our travel expenses as we were moved 85 miles away from home!

There must be something out there for mums who give birth too early. The system is not fair.

7. Hi,
    I was in a similar position and I sounded out a couple of Heads I know at other schools who commented that there could've been something sorted with HR/Payroll should the school 'wanted' too. Unfortunately, it seems some schools receive the news that baby has been born and therefore mum automatically goes onto maternity pay.
    Hope little one is doing well now :0)

8. That happened to me. However, unlike the rmcgill, I was one week in to the holidays (Lo born at just over 35 weeks) so although premature, not as early as the rm's one. I agree though that there is no provision for women who go into premature labour and have a premature baby.

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Legally, maternity leave has to start when the baby is born.
    I agree that there could really do with being some additional entitlement to maternity and paternity leave for those whose baby is very premature: statutory paternity leave is pretty useless for prem babies, and having three months of maternity leave used up before the baby comes home is a real pity.
    I don't think this is a "schools" issue, though: it's something that affects any parents of prem babies, although companies may sometimes be able to be more flexible than publicly-funded institutions - although equally, I think some are probably less helpful. If there were provision in the statutory legislation for extra maternity leave (SMP rates) equivalent to the length of time before the baby comes home, and extra/more flexible paternity leave, I think it would go a long way to improving things.

10. There is support available from unions ...there are benevolence funds which can be applied for.
    My son was born at 26 weeks and came home after 12 weeks on the NICU. September is the start of the RSV season, which is bad news for extremely prem babies. This meant we had to keep him out of public places and away from poorly people as he was immunosuppressed. Meaning I couldn't return to work when my maternity pay ran out in January as he couldn't go into childcare being immunosuppressed in the middle of the RSV season. I contacted my union just to see if they could offer any advice and I was told about benevolence funds. We were awarded a small amount of money from this fund - and as Tesco say 'every little helps'.
    However, it is rubbish there are no provisions for women of premature babies. All it would take is the maternity pay being started at the EDD instead of DOB.
    Bliss (the UKs premature baby charity) has attempted to get the government to alter the rules surrounding the start of maternity pay etc but with no success. But as mentioned in my previous post it seems that the school does potentially have the ability to manage the maternity pay of its' staff should they choose to.

11. No support from my school. In fact I received a text whilst my baby was in icu asking for laptop and keys back and another wanting to know where sats papers were (in cupboard in my classroom). In fact no support whilst pregnant, and rightly or wrongly I think that fact I was working so hard with no support contributed to my prem labour.

12. Me too! I carried on full steam ahead and although I felt fine and loved it, I'm sure it had taken it's toll and lo and behold, baby born at 34+5

13. We're potentially up against the situation this time that my due date this time round is mid-April and of course hubby's work holidays don't recharge until the start of April - his boss thankfully has agreed that if I end up with another preemie they'll let him borrow some of the subsequent year's holiday entitlement ahead of the April recharge.

14. I didn't have a preemie, infact LO was 2 weeks late, so I spent 4 weeks of full pay sat at home waiting for her to arrive despite having worked to 38 weeks to avoid this.
    I think the bigger argument for teachers to have is around holiday pay and maternity. Non-teachers are able to take their holiday pay before maternity and accrue their usual amount whilst on maternity that they can then take when they "return" to work. Non-teaching friends managed to work this to their advantage giving longer off (one friend had nearly 15 months off!) or reduce their working hours when they return to work, ie 2 days a week but having returned full time.
    It is really unfair that we lose our statatory holiday entitlement of 4 weeks + bank holidays.

15. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The point is that since we get around three times the statutory holiday entitlement every year, there isn't the same need to make up for it when we've been on maternity leave. Looking it at another way, when we return after maternity leave, we still get to spend 13 weeks a year with the children, every year, while non-teaching friends are stuck with 4 weeks + Bank Holidays + unpaid parental leave.
    Things are never going to be entirely fair between different types of jobs. No doubt there are non-teachers who are envious of teachers who have babies in September - enabling them to have 13.5 months off and be paid on full pay for the last six weeks.

16. Never thought about it like that - but then I don't know anyone that would be envious of my 13 weeks hols because they wouldn't want to be teachers!

17. Typed a lot and my dear daughter's just deleted it... but this is NOT a thread just whining for more more more... it's a very specific set of circumstances where you get hammered by the rules regarding when you can take maternity leave - and you're missing the point completely (and actually being quite offensive really) in just turning it into a "you have loads of holidays quit whining" rant against what people are saying.

18. Tweesie it didn't

Misterflibble chill your beans woman!

19. Got anything constructive to add to the discussion or did you just fancy sounding like a semi-literate 14 year old?

20. You see, there you go again - making slap dash comments/ insults - it's just not necessary.

Tweesie was just saying that as teachers we DO have other benefits that some careers wouldn't allow/work well with having our own families. What's wrong with appreciciating the positives?