1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prelims - burdensome and irrelevant

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by ladywholunch, Feb 4, 2016.

1. ladywholunch

ladywholunch New commenter

We still hold a diet of prelims in our school. Two years ago I pushed to preserve prelims as it gave teachers about four weeks total of extra non-contact time as well as the indicative nature of the prelims themselves.
    With "the nationals" came the news that the aspect of prelims that proved useful - appeal material - was now a non-starter (no appeals system) and prelims were therefore unnecessary.
    The impact was twofold. For our local authority to grant pupil leave the prelims could only be held for one week for all senior phase mock exams. Therefore a fortnight of "no S4" before Christmas and a fortnight of "no S5/6" in February became one- week of non-contact - something not inconsiderate when discussing tackling bureaucracy.
    I think the prelims now detract from teacher time and feel like asking colleagues to join me in asking the HT to scrap them altogether. My English colleagues may even whip their "prelim marking" to the bottom of the pile of AVUs and assignments.

Thoughts?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

N5 simply cannot be the first time that pupils face exam conditions. They need the prelim to show them how (in)effective their revision techniques have been and where the real gaps in their knowledge and skills are. I also think the prelim marking is invaluable for teachers to see what concepts have been retained and what needs more attention.

On the subject of putting prelim marking to the bottom of the pile compared to AVUs and assignments - well, I know which I think is the more valuable.

Effinbankers likes this.
  3. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

I'm with Flere-Imsaho, Prelims are very useful - it is the UASPS and AVU's, assignments and all the other junk that is burdensome and irrelevant. (For reference we have a one week half term that is 'study leave' for the S4/5/6's and get the prelims done in a weak and a half).

A prelim actually allows me to give pupils an idea of what to expect in the summer, and to offer advice to those who simply will not cope, and to inform those who are able where they can improve.

What is totally unnecessary with prelims is maintaining the requirement to source all the bloody questions (something I'm fighting over at the moment).

cochrane1964 likes this.
  4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Says who?

It's not needed as there are no appeals. Only the SQA would be interested in this (and they're not).

Even for candidates who break their leg or are ill at the final exam you don't need to provide where the questions came from. Just evidence backing up your estimated grade, doesn't even need to be a prelim

5. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

An internal fight, sorry, discussion, with some of my colleagues, nothing more than that (I just bought a prelim anyway)