1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant with #2 whilst on maternity leave - how does it work?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by schooling2, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have a 4 and half month old baby and I was wondering about how maternity pay/leave works etc. Hypothetically speaking if I was to fall pregnant again say now or at some stage in my leave what would happen? My OH and I were considering it, but I am clueless to my entitlements and pay - rubbish I know, I should know more but it is way confusing!
    Can anyone tell me what my rights etc would be with regards to returning to work, maternity pay and maternity leave (round 2!). I am originally due to return to work at the end of Jan 2012, but Im guessing I would need to go back sooner? Its just a scenario I was playing out in my head, I am guessing school would be pretty peed off about it right?
    Has it happened to anyone? Any experiences of something similar? All work places are different and I cant find anything on it within the teaching industry.
    Thanks

2. Hi,
    I have a 4 and half month old baby and I was wondering about how maternity pay/leave works etc. Hypothetically speaking if I was to fall pregnant again say now or at some stage in my leave what would happen? My OH and I were considering it, but I am clueless to my entitlements and pay - rubbish I know, I should know more but it is way confusing!
    Can anyone tell me what my rights etc would be with regards to returning to work, maternity pay and maternity leave (round 2!). I am originally due to return to work at the end of Jan 2012, but Im guessing I would need to go back sooner? Its just a scenario I was playing out in my head, I am guessing school would be pretty peed off about it right?
    Has it happened to anyone? Any experiences of something similar? All work places are different and I cant find anything on it within the teaching industry.
    Thanks

3. Whether you're pregnant or not, to be entitled to your maternity half pay you need to return to work for 13 weeks (which include holidays) and if you're going part time then you would obviously have to double the time and work 26 weeks.

If you were to conceive today, you would be due mid april which means if you returned to work in January it may be a push but you could do the 13 weeks depending on the dates. Could you put down beginning of christmas holidays and return beginning of jan term and that way you would def have completed 13 weeks and still have plenty of time before baby comes. Of course you might not even conceive today which makes you completing 13 weeks of work more likely... if you get what I mean?

In terms of how you feel about the school, well each school is different, but it's your life and you should be able to do what you want. I think my school would be peed off, but that's not my problem and if I wanted what you want, then I'd still do it.

4. You have to return when your 52 weeks is up but if it's time for you to go on maternity leave again at that point you still go, you don't have to squeeze in 13 weeks between the two maternity leaves.
    I don't know if your school will be fed up - my head would be fine about it while some other heads resent anyone getting pregnant ever. It depends on your priorities - if you want to climb to the top of the career ladder then a good long stint back at work may look better. Then again, maybe you get all your maternity leave out of the way now and can completely focus on your career - if that's what you want.
    Even if you conceive now you won't be due til Apr 2012 so you'd probably get your 13 weeks anyway.

5. Thank you ladies - its not a definite idea we're having and babies can never be scheduled, but it was a conversation I had with DH and a friend - also a teacher on maternity. My friend basically said Id be "screwed" if I were to fall pregnant now!!! So it got me thinking just how it all works!