1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant teen

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jmntsp, Nov 30, 2011.

1. jmntsp

jmntsp New commenter

Help, folks! I need some advice, please. I am on long term supply in a school where I've been on and off for the past three years (generally picking up 2 or 3 days a week) so most of the kids know me really well and I have good and established relationships with a lot of pupils (just to give a bit of background history). Anyway.....earlier in the week one of my Y11 girls (+ her friend) came to see me and she began the conversation with 'if I tell you something you won't have to tell anyone else, will you?' I told her that if she wanted to tell me something in confidence that I would certainly not tell anyone without her permission and she said, 'I think I'm pregnant, miss'. Cut a long story short she is a week or so late, didn't use protection and is panicking. One of the things she asked was, 'would you tell my mum for me if I am?' and my response (I think) was, 'bloody hell - you don't want much do you!' Anyway, I told her that I wouldn't do that without clearing it with the school first, that I was pleased she'd felt she could talk to me about it, not to panic and that the first thing to do was to take a pregnancy test to find out for definite before she did anything else. I was calm and kind and spent quite a long time with her as she was worried about what people would think/say, etc. She is going to do a test and I asked her to let me know what happened.
    Obviously I'm in a tricky position here and whilst I want to support this girl I don't know how best to do so if she gets a positive result, particularly as I'm 'on supply' rather than a permanent contract. I don't feel that I can betray her trust in me by telling SMT without her permission and had decided to suggest to her that (worst case scenario) I should speak to the head and explain to him that whilst I wouldn't tell him who it was, that I should tell him one of the senior girls had confided in me and that I was worried she would not tell her mother. I was going to suggest that if her mother made an appointment to see me with her that she could tell her mother with me there as a bit of moral support. Anyone got a better suggestion? I feel a bit caught between a rock and a hard place here.