1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant teacher on school trip.

Discussion in 'School trips' started by miss_c, Jun 23, 2011.

1. miss_c

miss_c New commenter

I have organised a school trip for a small number of KS5 students - a class I have been teaching for 2 years. The trip will last a day and will involve 2.5 hours on a bus each way. We will be visiting the theatre - so a rather sedentary trip for all of us.
    I am pregnant and will be 29 weeks at the time of the trip. I have been informed by management that I am no longer allowed to go on the trip I organised because of my pregnancy,
    Does anybody know of any particular health and safety guidelines which prohibit pregnant teachers from participating in school trips? I could understand it if I was in the 8th or 9th month, but at this stage there is little to no chance of me going in to labour.

2. Total rubbish, you should have a risk assessment to protect you from things like standing for a long time. I am 17 weeks pregnant and I have been on several trips, Kingswood outdoor education, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, walking and climbing. I would ask your Health and Safety officer in school for any guidelines. I assume you have written a risk assessment for the trip? Have you included events related to your pregnancy? Are you going alone?

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Your school should have a H&S policy for pregnant staff (and students). This would normally involve an interview between the pregnant person and someone in Managment. The school has to take into account your condition and any medical matters arising from it (such as places to sit, toilet breaks etc). Can you sit on a bus for 2.5 hours? Would you be just as spritely at the end of the journey as you would be if not pregnant? Don't forget that you are also responsible for the H&S of the students, could this be compromised if you were unwell/affected by your condition?

I think you need to meet with the person who has decided you cannot go and ask them why, then if you want to counter their arguements.

4. miss_c

miss_c New commenter

I did have an interview with a member of SMT when I first told them I was pregnant and we filled in a H&S/risk assessment form together. I have to say though, the concerns I raised at the time of that interview (the fact that the nearest toilet to my classroom is a 5-10 minute walk away and the fact that I have to spend a period a week alone in the 'isolation room' with sometimes violent teenagers) were never picked up or acted on in any way. Nothing about school trips was mentioned. I did try to find that member of staff today but they weren't available. I will try to grab them tomorrow to try and get to the bottom of this. The fact is, I have a feeling this isn't really about H&S and could be more personal.

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well if they claim it is about H&S then use that to get a room closer to the toilet and to get out of isolation duty!

6. Mental.
    Why bovver ?