1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant Supply Teacher

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by flowers12, Sep 30, 2018.

1. flowers12

flowers12 New commenter

I'm currently a day-to-day primary supply teacher and am 19 weeks pregnant. I told my agency I was pregnant when I signed back up with them in July but they forgot...

Anyway, last week, the headteacher of one of the schools I worked at asked the agency whether I was pregnant as I'd told staff I was and my agency said they didn't think so. Anyway, out of all this, the school were asked to carry out a risk assessment. I've not seen or heard anything of this RA yet. Does it apply to every school I work in or will a new one have to be made each time? I'm going to email my consultant in a bit to chase this up.

Also what kind of things should pregnant supply teachers not be asked to do?

I'm assuming I'll only be eligible for maternity allowance as I've only just started with this agency as I had contracted work as an HLTA last year (they kindly told me they were ending my contract just before I got pregnant on my third round of IVF! - just very poor timing for me but I'm pregnant at last so there's the bonus.) Is this correct that I'll be on maternity allowance? Anyone had any experience applying for this? I'm worried as I obviously had no pay in August and only started supply in the last couple of weeks as there wasn't any work available so this will look badly on how much I earn.

Thanks in advance.

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Congratulations on your baby news. You must be thrilled.

Regarding your questions, you should contact your union and seek their advice since they will know the law surrounding pregnant teachers and especially how the law applies to supply teachers. I am sure they will have come across this query before. The Education Support Partnership may also have advice and support. Their details are pinned to the top of the workplace dilemma forum

Regarding the benefits you will be entitled to, perhaps contact CAB and they will direct you to the government agencies who calculate what you might get etc..

3. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

If you’ve earned a certain amount each week I believe you’re entitled to maternity allowance. I had to claim that when I got pregnant just after moving schools and local authorities as I wasn’t entitled to maternity pay in my new school.

JohnJCazorla, flowers12 and install like this.
  4. flowers12

flowers12 New commenter

Thanks. It's been confirmed I should get maternity allowance but not SMP.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.