1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant Supply Teacher - health and safety question

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Essjae, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Essjae

Essjae New commenter

Apologies if this has been answered before!

Long time reader, novice poster!

I currently supply on a day to day basis in primary (mostly at the younger end), and my question is regarding keeping myself safe while working as a temporary teacher. It's probably a case of common sense but it's my first baby and I am really looking for a bit of peace of mind!

Should my agency be mentioning my pregnancy to schools before assignments e.g. to avoid recent cases of dangerous infectious diseases or warning them that I am unable to fully participate in vigorous PE sessions? Or is this something I need to tell the school myself? Or not at all!?

Am I protected in this respect as a permanent member of staff would be or do a different set of rules apply to supply teachers?

I am not anticipating any major problems but am anxious not to inconvenience the school if I am unable to fulfil all the duties that they may require of me.

Any advice would be wonderful!

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Many congratulations on your pregnancy. I am sure you are excited.

If you discuss your concerns with your agency, they will be able to advise you since they will probably have experience of working with teachers who are pregnant and will know the rules and procedures to protect you and also what schools expect.

Don't forget to stay in a union. Your union may also be able to advise you in connection with the queries you raise.

All the best with your pregnancy and supply work.

Pepper5

3. Essjae

Essjae New commenter

Thanks for the advice pepper5, will do! I will contact the NUT too, didn't even occur to me to ask them...

It is very exciting - and not a little daunting! :)

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You are most welcome.

Essjae likes this.