1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant, stressed, confused, please help!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by a_rooti, Mar 8, 2016.

1. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

I'm half way through my pregnancy and feeling burnt out. I've taken a few days here and there with exhaustion and sickness, but I don't know how much longer I can go on like this. There are staffing issues in my department and I'm the HOD, so left holding the can. Deadlines keep piling in. I can't switch off. I can't stop crying at home. I can't sleep, partly due to being physically uncomfortable and partly because I can't stop worrying about work. I worry I'm depressed again (have been depressed before, but managed to only take a few days off and drudge on at work through it).

I've booked a dr's appointment for next week. I've also prepared a letter for my head explaining how I'm feeling but not sure if 1. I should send it and 2. if I do, when is the best time? The day of my doc's appointment? Before? After?

My colleagues are pretty nice, so I'd feel guilty if I'm signed off for a couple of weeks, but at the same time, I honestly don't know how I'm going to carry on if I'm not. The idea of being signed off worries me too in that I wouldn't know how to set work for more than 2 days in a row! My SLT are nice enough, but not particularly aware of the extra stresses I'm under that other HODs in the school are due to staffing and also with the added pressure of pregnancy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I know (all too well) the pressures of being HoD but the health of you and your baby is much more important. If you get signed off then it's because your doctor wants to ensure that you and your baby are well. Your managers will have the training and capacity to ensure your workload is covered so try not to worry that everything will fall apart if you're off (it won't!).
    Honestly, no job is ever worth getting stressed and ill over. Put yourself and your baby first, get people to help out at home to ease those burdens and, most importantly, look after yourself.

3. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

Been signed off for two weeks. Feel guilty as well as relieved. I tried to argue with the doctor that I didn't want to be signed off, but he convinced me I needed it, so I should probably trust him.

I've sent general cover work, but feel so bad for my year 11s and there are report deadlines due that I'm now going to miss. Is it normal to feel guilty being signed off?? :(

4. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

Been signed off by the doc. Can't believe how guilty but also relieved I feel - is this normal? Can't stop crying, but I guess that's part of it? Tried to argue with the doctor that I didn't need signing off, but he said I did, so should probably trust him!

5. alla_ova

alla_ova Occasional commenter

What a nice GP! You are very lucky.
    Take care of youself and your baby.

6. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

Wasn't showing that I'd already posted - don't know how to delete or edit posts.

7. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You can't delete posts. Don't worry about it.

Yes it is usual (for most teachers I would guess) to feel guilty about being signed off, because we're all so used to feeling that we have to be there and if we aren't that we're letting everyone else down.

You need to think about not letting yourself down right now - and letting yourself down would be not looking after yourself and the baby. Stress hormones cross the placental wall so the more stress you are, the more the baby will feel it too. So you need to look after you and the baby - relax, rest, get stronger, and don't worry about school OR the kids. Their progress is NOT all down to you.... but your health is.

8. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

You sound lucky with your doc. In my area , you hardly ever get to see one. So trust him, and good luck!