1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant RQT feeling exhausted

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zoedunham, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:44 PM.

1. zoedunham

zoedunham New commenter

Hello all,

I guess I just wanted anonymous support and advice really. I am actually in a lovely school (challenging behaviour but supportive staff), however since returning after lockdown I am feeling absolutely exhausted and wondering if I can continue.

I actually have a really complicated history regarding having children. I do have a young child already but during lockdown suffered an early miscarriage. I am currently nearly 8 weeks pregnant and from an early scan found out it was twins. Everyday is a real struggle for me at the minute, I am dealing with morning sickness, exhaustion and that is just from pregnancy! I don't know how I can keep going without completely breaking down.

I am teary everyday, husband works away Mon-Fri so I am acting as a single parent, planning, and having zero down time. It has only been 2 weeks back!!! I am very good at saying everything is OK and just ploughing on. I love teaching and feel like a failure if things don't go well in lessons etc but right now my mind isn't on teaching. I am panicking about the pregnancy and how much I am on my feet everyday, how I have no idea if I am now "at risk" of the virus yet cannot protect myself in a school full of children, let's be realistic!?

Right now, I just can't see how I will manage. On the surface all is good but underneath I feel like I am on the brink of breaking down.

2. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Established commenter

Your priority is your unborn children, not the children in your school. If you cannot manage then stop trying to - that is what sick leave is for. Quite apart from the risk of infection you may endanger your pregnancy. Please consider this as kindly said, but you need to acquire a sense of proportion.

3. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

I agree, put yourself and your children first. You are not required to wear yourself out to a frazzle, your energy is going into building two amazing new humans, and caring for another you already have. Let go of the sense of duty towards the school. It is misplaced. Your employer is responsible for the education of those children, not you. You should be taking time off and resting.

4. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I agree with all the above. Your babies come first. These are difficult times. Most of us are struggling readjusting to being back and all the mitigation measures. It’s really tough so I can well imagine how awful it is in the first trimester. Speak to your GP and midwife team. Take advice. If you need to rest do so. Take time off. I had 2 miscarriages and totally understand your anxiety. Stay well and healthy.