1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant primary teachers - informing parents?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lost_in_translation, Apr 22, 2012.

1. A question for primary teachers who are pregnant (know the whole secondary situation is a bit different!)

How and when did the parents at your school find out about your pregnancy? I work in a very small village primary school, I'm 18 weeks pregnant and the SMT and teaching staff know but am still keeping it private from support staff and parents (lots of the TAs are either parents or very friendly with parents and gossip is rife - once the TAs know it will be public knowledge!)

It's a very difficult year for the school, our head is currently away and we have a temporary head in a couple of times a week. This means the parents are already very 'twitchy' and unsettled about things and I feel that they need to be informed of changes to staffing properly (I'm due in Sept so will work till July but won't return after the summer. Also I teach nursery/reception and parents of early years children seem to get even more worked up about their child's teacher - presumably because it's the first?). For those of you that have informed the parents formally how and when was this done? I am desperate to at least get to my 20 week scan but am having to employ some 'creative' dressing to hide my developing bump in the meantime!

2. A question for primary teachers who are pregnant (know the whole secondary situation is a bit different!)

How and when did the parents at your school find out about your pregnancy? I work in a very small village primary school, I'm 18 weeks pregnant and the SMT and teaching staff know but am still keeping it private from support staff and parents (lots of the TAs are either parents or very friendly with parents and gossip is rife - once the TAs know it will be public knowledge!)

It's a very difficult year for the school, our head is currently away and we have a temporary head in a couple of times a week. This means the parents are already very 'twitchy' and unsettled about things and I feel that they need to be informed of changes to staffing properly (I'm due in Sept so will work till July but won't return after the summer. Also I teach nursery/reception and parents of early years children seem to get even more worked up about their child's teacher - presumably because it's the first?). For those of you that have informed the parents formally how and when was this done? I am desperate to at least get to my 20 week scan but am having to employ some 'creative' dressing to hide my developing bump in the meantime!

3. Do your governors know?? They really should know before the parents do - can you have a quiet word with the Chair if you're not sure whether they have been told? My Govs found out when I was 20 weeks. I'm now 25+3 and the parents still don't know! I was all set to tell the kids last week (Y4/5), and then they were little 5ods in the afternoon, so I decided not to share my news! My HT originally said he didn't want parents to know until cover had been sorted. Like you, my creative dressing has (I think) hidden it a bit, but I can't hide it any longer, and I don't want to.

4. I found out yesterday that I *am* the subject of quite considerable levels of playground gossip - I wish someone had told me sooner, as I would have pushed for parents to be informed. It has annoyed me. I just don't see why we need to know who will be covering before parents are told - we will appoint someone qualified & suitable for the job in due course. Their children will not be left without a teacher....

5. I completely agree with your point about TAs and usually I would have no problem telling them, most of the TAs in my school would be fine and I know I could trust them to respect my confidentiality. However it is a known fact that we have at least 2 or 3 'leaks' amongst the TAs - they are parents themselves and have gladly shared supposedly 'private' school information with other parents on numerous occasions - unfortunately we can't actively prove it so disciplinary measures are not an option! So basically it came down to a choice between telling them all and knowing it would be public knowledge very quickly, telling some of them (which I felt was the most unfair option) or not telling any of them for now and once they know explaining that I wanted to keep it as quiet as possible until after my 20 week scan. Luckily the majority of the TAs are lovely and I know they'll completely respect my choice and right to privacy.

I also agree with your point about the head handling the situation, however, we are without our full time head at the moment and only have an acting head 2 days a week. In that time she barely has time to deal with day-to-day stuff never mind the exceptional things. I have requested to her that it be kept quiet at the moment as I want to get past my 20 week scan but have no idea how the situation will proceed after that - that was why I started this thread, to see what was common practice at other schools?