1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant on a fixed-term contract! Please help!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by year3teacher1984, Feb 6, 2011.

1. I have found out that I am pregant this week and will be due on 3rd October. I am on the 2nd Year of a fixed term contract which is due to expire August 2011. I am hoping that they will keep me on (I've been told that they would have to make me perm after this year as it has been 2 years or will have to terminate the contract.) I expect that I will have to start maternity at the start of the summer hols as there would be no point going back in Sept. If possible, I intend to go back full-time in May. Has anyone come across a situation like this before? If so, was the teacher kept on and did they have maternity leave on full-pay? I have done a bit of research and it states that I should get stat maternity pay because I will be working 13 weeks before I give birth. I have a house and simply cannot afford it living off stat maternity pay. I have read somewhere that they have to provide a valid reason for not renewing my contract and that dismissing me would be deemed as discrimination.

Please help!!!

2. I have found out that I am pregant this week and will be due on 3rd October. I am on the 2nd Year of a fixed term contract which is due to expire August 2011. I am hoping that they will keep me on (I've been told that they would have to make me perm after this year as it has been 2 years or will have to terminate the contract.) I expect that I will have to start maternity at the start of the summer hols as there would be no point going back in Sept. If possible, I intend to go back full-time in May. Has anyone come across a situation like this before? If so, was the teacher kept on and did they have maternity leave on full-pay? I have done a bit of research and it states that I should get stat maternity pay because I will be working 13 weeks before I give birth. I have a house and simply cannot afford it living off stat maternity pay. I have read somewhere that they have to provide a valid reason for not renewing my contract and that dismissing me would be deemed as discrimination.

Please help!!!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

What you have read is correct. Their decision to either keep you on or not should be based solely on the needs of the school for the post, regardless of your situation.
    If they decide that the role is no longer needed (i.e. because of falling roles or similar) then you will be hard-pushed to argue otherwise, but what they could not do is just terminate your contract and offer it to someone else.

4. I don't know whether your L.A are the same, but our L.A take on fixed term appointments to check that the person in question is suitable for the job and do this for 2 years. If I wasn't pregnant, it would probably mean that I would be kept on as a perm Teacher within school come September 2011. Once I go, they are a teacher down. I am hoping that they see how hard I've worked and keep me, but I know that it isn't as simple as that!

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I hope you are very much mistaken about that policy as that works be quite unreasonable of your LEA!

6. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

This seems to be the norm in lots of school in my authority, despite there being a need for a teacher. I can understand with a school that fluctuates in numbers frequently, but I know of schools that are one form entry and full and have still offered fixed term contracts. I don't understand how they get away with it, but they do seem to.