1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant NQT

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Techit88, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Hi

I was hoping for some adice. I'm an NQT - just started in September and I've just found out I'm pregnant. How on Earth do I tell the school? I've only been there for seven weeks! The school and staff are lovely and I don't think they'll be horrible about it but I'm panicking! Also, I haven't signed my contract yet. I've got a full-time permenant position but can this be done away with if they find out I'm pregnant before I sign? Also, do I go to the doctors and get everything confirmed and due dates etc sorted before I tell the school?
    Sorry but I'm really confused/nervous/excited!
    Thanks in advance.

2. DO NOT WORRY!!!! :)
    I am in exactly the same position I have just told my head and department last week of my pregnancy (i managed to hold out until I had my first scan)
    They are being fantastic with it - no you cannot lose your position as this was a permanat position when offered.
    I too have not signed a contract but I have already said i will return afterwards :)
    I go on maternity in April :) its up to you when you tell them but whenever you do tell the head first as this the standard procedure then tell everyone lese when you feel ready - the responses so far are great and include hugs!!!!
    Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask as I have pretty much found out most things now regarding being pregnant on your NQT year :)
    Good luck with your pregnancy and congratulations!!!!!
    xx
    (13+2 weeks!)

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Don't worry about your contract - the verbal offer they made you is binding. Your job is safe - you just need to think about when to go on maternity.
    Really this is up to you. Perhaps an idea to find out your due date before you tell the school. Some people don't tell their school until the 12 week scan.
    Congratulations and good luck with your pregnancy.

4. Thank you both so much for your answers - really kind!
    I'm feeling a lot better about things now than I was when I posted. My partner and I have told our families and they're over the moon so we're really lucky to have lots of people behind us to help us.
    Thanks again :)

5. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

also read excellent advice on:

http://www.atl.org.uk/help-and-advice/parental-leave/maternity.asp