1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pregnant NQT

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by zaby, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I started my NQT year in feb 2011, and I have 3 chidren already but hubby and I have decided to have one more. I dont want to leave a big gap between my children, as my youngest is going to be 5 this year. I want to start trying in January 2012, but I feel even then it may be to soon. I feel really guilty planning this. I am worried about what the head will say, how the other members of staff will react.I also want to take a year of, as I feel the first year is the most important. Do you think I am being selfish? Should I leave it for a few years? Sohuld I return back to work sooner?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you want a baby, then have a baby. No-one will care in any way except to be very pleased for you. It is not more trouble for them now than it would be in 3,4,5,10 years time.

There are far more serious things that mothers seem to feel guilty about, than the time of conception relative to their career progression!

Tell your hubby the good news that you want to get on with it ASAP. Try to wait long enough to finish your NQT year, just to get it out of the way, but other that, Get Cracking and Best of Luck!

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

If you decide to try for another baby now and fall pregnant quickly, you should be aware that there are special Induction options for those who start maternity leave before the anticipated end of their Induction year.
    If you are meeting all the standards by the time that you go on maternity leave, you can ask for your Induction to besigned off at that point. If you are not meeting all the standards yet, you will have your Induction extended and will complete it on your return to work.
    When planning your new addition you should take into account that if your piad maternity leave falls over the summer break, you will only get maternity pay even you have worked most of the school year and feel entitled to the full holiday pay!
    If taking a year off, starting matenity leave after the summer break and 'returning to work' on the first day of the summer break in the following year is the best financial option.

4. Thank you for the advice I think I will wait till the end of this year and start trying in DEC/JAN because by Feb 2012 I will havecompleted my NQT year. I hope that your right and everyone is pleased for me!!!!!!

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

This is a wise time to try and get pregnant anyway since (God willing) if you conceive in Jan/Feb, the baby will be born just into the new term, meaning you aren't forced to take maternity leave over the summer holidays. Obviously, those trying to conceive and finding it difficult wouldn't care at all WHEN they conceived from a fiancial perspective, but it DOES help if you can possibly manage it! This way, you don't need to take maternity leave until after the summer break, meaning you aren't forced to be on reduced pay when you wouldn't be at work anyway, if that makes sense.

That said, good luck! I hope you are blessed with the new baby you desire and that everything goes well in your NQT year and with all of your children (existing and hoped for) X x x

6. Thats so sweet thank you. Feel so much better now.