1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant mat cover teacher

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Teapot345, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

So I've recently found out I'm pregnant and will likely be due end of Sept.

Currently I'm working on a 1 year fixed contract (maternity).

I'm fully anticipating the teacher I am covering will come back before summer (she had her baby in August) and that I will be unemployed from July ish onwards.

If I applied now for perm jobs to start September, knowing I'm pregnant now, is that going to be frowned upon? Should I tell them at interview stage? Would I be likely to get anything? I'd only be around to work 3 weeks or so before my own maternity leave starts. How might it work with telling them by the required date, which will be before any new contract starts?

Or would I be better to give notice before end of Feb and hope I can find a new job for Easter? Won't that impact on any SMP?

So many questions! Just trying to get my head around everything.

TIA

2. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Congratulations!
    I was in a similar position with a one year fixed contract and baby due in September. I was eligible for SMP or maternity allowance - not sure how this would work if you left earlier though.
    I had the next year off and found a position starting the next September. I guess I could have applied for jobs starting weeks before I'd have left on maternity leave but unless 'the perfect job' had come up, it wouldn't have been any financial advantage to me and felt a bit pointless applying for jobs I wouldn't start for potentially another year.
    Its my understanding that there's nothing stopping you applying though, and you don't need to declare it at interview.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You're not going to qualify for OMP.
    If you start your maternity leave before the other teacher comes back (you can start up to 11 weeks before due date), you will qualify for SMP, even though you're leaving. You would need to make sure you get the dates coordinated right! It might not be possible if she decides to come back earlier than July.
    If you start maternity leave after the end of your contract, you will qualify for Maternity Allowance, which is the same flat rate as SMP, so you just lose out on the higher rate for the first six weeks. For that you need to have worked something like 26 weeks in the previous 66, for any employer, so that's already guaranteed.
    If you have a new job, you won't qualify for SMP, but you would still get Maternity Allowance.

So, having worked out what you get for maternity pay, what about a new job?

You can apply for new posts for September, and it's best not to mention the pregnancy (unless obvious), as they are not allowed to discriminate, and they may prefer not to know so that they're not having to worry about you accusing them of discrimination. They can't sack you or anything when you tell them; they just have to say congratulations and groan inwardly! However, as muso says, you're barely going to start the job (if at all - you'd probably actually be less unpopular if you started maternity at the start of term so the maternity cover teacher can start the year), and you're not going to get any financial benefit from it during the maternity leave. So it might make more sense to wait and apply for jobs for when you'd like to return to work.

The only thing might be that if you would want to return part-time, it's often very difficult to find part-time posts advertised (although it can be worth asking if you see a full-time one), whereas if you are already technically in post (even if on maternity leave), then you can apply under the flexible working regulations. There's no guarantee that they say yes, though.

4. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Thanks for your comments.

I appreciate and am not expecting to receive OMP.

My question was really coming from a place of - would I **** them all off before even starting if I applied for a perm job and then told them I was preggers after accepting a job and before starting?

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot, but perm jobs are like hen's teeth around where I am and this one is for a school I know and like so even more reason that I don't want to **** them off! I also just want to ensure I have something lined up for after maternity for peace of mind and financial security, given the lack of OMP I'd be entitled to.

So really it's a now or later kind of question, if that makes sense? My worry is that it will be much harder to apply and get a job in a years time than it would now when I'm in a post, so it's good to hear your positive experience Muso2.

You've definetly given me something to think about - I hadn't even considered part time/flexible wotking on returning to teach.

Thanks both.