1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant!! Lots of questions!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by pinknailvarnish, Jun 19, 2011.

1. pinknailvarnish

pinknailvarnish New commenter

Hi everyone, Ive got a million questions to ask!!
    Ive found out a week ago that im pregnat :) I believe myself to be 5+1. I have my booking appointment in 4 and a half weeks time. I have sore boobs with lots of blue veins on and my nipples and surrounding area are larger and darker. I have had a 'stretching' feeling in my right lower side on and off and also I feel wet often down below sorry if tmi but are these all normal? Apart from that no other symptoms or morning sickness yet!
    I am aware that I am in the very early stages of pregnancy and am extremely worried about miscarrying, are there any obvious signs apart from bleeding and cramping that I should be aware of?
    Also I am due to get married soon and if all goes to plan I will be 10 weeks pregnant by the time of the wedding - do you think my dress will still fit? Will the shop by able to alter my dress to fit my boobs?!
    Another thing ... When should I tell work? I dont really want to tell them until the 12 week scan and I know things are fairly ok; however this will be in the summer holidays. By the time September comes I will be 16 weeks pregnant and it will be a bit obvious! (There are already 3 teachers pregant at work and I am bit scared to tell them that I am too!)
    One final thing - I am going on a residential in 2 weeks time, how can I not give the game away that Im pregnant?!
    Sorry for the gazillion questions but there is so much to take in!
    P.s I was going to tell my parents today but chickened out! Although Im sure they will be thrilled maybe just concerned because of the wedding!
    x

2. pinknailvarnish

Hi everyone, Ive got a million questions to ask!!
    Ive found out a week ago that im pregnat :) I believe myself to be 5+1. I have my booking appointment in 4 and a half weeks time. I have sore boobs with lots of blue veins on and my nipples and surrounding area are larger and darker. I have had a 'stretching' feeling in my right lower side on and off and also I feel wet often down below sorry if tmi but are these all normal? Apart from that no other symptoms or morning sickness yet!
    I am aware that I am in the very early stages of pregnancy and am extremely worried about miscarrying, are there any obvious signs apart from bleeding and cramping that I should be aware of?
    Also I am due to get married soon and if all goes to plan I will be 10 weeks pregnant by the time of the wedding - do you think my dress will still fit? Will the shop by able to alter my dress to fit my boobs?!
    Another thing ... When should I tell work? I dont really want to tell them until the 12 week scan and I know things are fairly ok; however this will be in the summer holidays. By the time September comes I will be 16 weeks pregnant and it will be a bit obvious! (There are already 3 teachers pregant at work and I am bit scared to tell them that I am too!)
    One final thing - I am going on a residential in 2 weeks time, how can I not give the game away that Im pregnant?!
    Sorry for the gazillion questions but there is so much to take in!
    P.s I was going to tell my parents today but chickened out! Although Im sure they will be thrilled maybe just concerned because of the wedding!
    x

3. Hi
    I think we're about the same number of weeks pregnant - can't be of much help as I'm new to this! Didn't want to read and run though.

All I can tell you that most things are normal, from what I've found out so far anyway!
    I'm getting married soon, and I think I'll be about 14 weeks so I'm really worried about my dress. I think at 10 weeks you should be fine as it sounds like most don't start showing until about 12 weeks.
    If you have a little read through on the 'Winter babies 2011/2012' thread you might find a bit more advice. Everyone seems to have told their boss at different times - some very early on, and some have left it until 12 weeks +.
    Wishing you all the best for the next 9 months! xxx

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

First of all - congrats [​IMG]
    Your symptoms sound totally normal. No idea about miscarriage, but i think they say if you have bleeding accompanied by pain then it is likely, but doesn't always mean it's going to happen. I had bleeding early on in both my pregnancies and everything was fine, so bleeding doesn't always mean the worst. If it does happen then call the early pregnancy unit at your hospital and they will book you in for a scan.
    I didn't show at all at 10 weeks in my first pregnancy and was still in 'normal' clothes for quite a while. I got pregnant just after i got married and probably would've fit into my dress until about 16 weeks or so. However, if needed i'm sure they can change your dress for you. Mine had to altered as i lost a lot of weight.
    You don't have to tell work until you're 25 weeks when you have to inform them officially that you're pregnant and fill in all the forms, and give them the MATB1 form. I told school at 12 weeks both times - not everyone, just the people who needed to know like the head, and my HoD, and of course friends.
    As for the residential, maybe tell the person in charge (unless that's you!) and one or all of your colleagues going? Is it in the UK or abroad?
    If you have any more questions feel free to ask!
    Chica, mummy of a 2 year old and a 5.5 week old!

5. YAy, congratulations! Welcome to the unglamourous but exciting world of pregnancy.

I think the dress should be ok, I had a small bump by 10 weeks- looked bloated really, but all my normal clothes were fitting comfortably, how fitted is your dress? Everyone is different on that score!
    I had a lot of cramping and a little bleeding in early pregnancy, very scary but my daughter is 10 months old- so it doesn't always mean the worst. Those first 12 weeks are hard though, just wishing them away!
    All your symptoms are normal, there are so, so many possible ones though
    I would mention it to someone on the residential, you may be extra tired or a bit sick etc, so it might be good to have someone to aspire to. TBH, I personally don't go for the 'don't tell anyone until 12 weeks' as if I had miscarried I would have wanted people to know so they understood why I was off work. Everyone is different on that score- so that is your decision entirely. People guessed before 12 weeks though, they said I was 'glowing' I think they were being nice as I felt ROUGH and must have looked it!

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Congratulations!
    I was roughly 10 weeks pregnant when I got married (although I didn't know it at the time!) and my dress was fine although I did notice that my boobs were a bit bigger, I didn't think anything of it...I just thought, lucky OH!
    I started a new job not long after I got married and told them straight away as I didn't want them to feel like I was taking advantage and because I'd started showing, but obviously its up to you.

7. Firstly congratulations!
    I told my head at 7 weeks as I'd miscarried 6 months before and I wanted the support if anything happened again - she was great and kept making sure that I was okay and I was sent home early from meetings a couple of times when I didn't feel great. You don't have to officially tell the school until around 24 weeks (can't remember exactly) so if you want to wait until September you can.
    I was shattered early in my pregnancy and needed a nap most days after school, so take care of yourself as I always find residentials exhausting. Just to make you aware though, I wasn't allowed to go on any trips once I'd told the head I was pregnant (at our school if you're pregnant unless you're going to a PGL type place where there are other staff around, they make you take an extra member of staff in case of anything happening to you so pupils/staff ratios are always maintained and because of the cost of this - they just say you're not allowed to go.)
    Enjoy your pregnancy!

8. congrats!
    i got married at 21 weeks and my dress still fitted (although it was a-line corset back so my boobs and belly had room for growth!) i was in normal pre-preg trousers until 20 weeks.
    for the residential it's up to you if you go or not. you could back out if you feel like it would exhaust you/put you at risk.
    there's nothing you can/can't do regarding an early miscarriage so just try to relax and keep your stress levels down.
    enjoy!

9. Congratulations!
    I just wanted to add that I did a week long PGL residential at 5/6 months pregnant. By that point I was feeling the best I did during pregnancy, and I was still knackered at the end of every day and I was on light duties. I honestly don't think I'd have coped at all during the first trimester. I also developed horrendous travel sickness and at 8 weeks had to pull out of a school trip because of this.

10. Actually, it probably won't! My pupils (and many of the staff) didn't cotton on til I was about 6-7 months... I'd tell them in September, if that's the earliest term-time after your scan. (And make sure you get them to do a risk assessment, as schools are not always brilliant about this, to put it generously.)

11. I went on a residential to a PGL type place when I was 6 weeks and I was fine, but I have been luck with symptoms, no sickness, not much tiredness. I have a bit of a bump now but in lots of my clothes you can't really tell, it's only fitted stuff and more casual stuff that makes it obvious. I dodn't tell my school until I was 15 weeks as my scan was v late.

12. Hey huge congratulations x

I had to lead a residential the week after I found out I was pregnant. If it hadn't been for one angel of a HLTA I would have been screwed. She put me to bed early, brought me tea, covered for me with the rest of the staff and generally wouldn't let me lift a finger so I would 100% recommend confiding in someone you trust as they will be a welcome and huge support. To top it off we then had ofsted 2 weeks later nightmare !

On the bump front I really started to show by about 13-14 weeks by then people were commenting an it's also really tricky not to subconsciously rub your tummy ( least it was for me :)) it's totally our decision though but head might appreciate the forewarning ?

Take it easy and enjoy your wonderful journey x

13. pinknailvarnish

Thanks for all the replies :) Got my first scan through the post - 9th August, it seems such a long way off but so excited!
    Morning sickness has officially kicked in! Felt awful all day yesterday and was sick when I got to school :-( Been sick a bit this morning but havent been too bad, I find I get worse when Im hungry!
    The trip is like PGL so luckily I will only have to supervise - Im not doing any activities! If I feel as bad as I did yesterday I will definately confide in one of my lovely TA's who are coming on the trip.
    I tempted to tell work officially after my first scan- maybe ring the head in the holidays although I dont want to mess people around if she then feels she needs to swap peoples year groups, its a tricky decision! We are going to tell my parents this weekend as I think they have guessed anyway!!
    Does anyone have any good tips for how to deal with morning sickness when in school?
    xxx

14. Morning sickness and school.... not plesant.
    I found ginger ale and ginger biscuits helped, have some to sip (or any drink) to sip throughout the day. Some biscuits on hand to nibble on between classes- I think it is better to eat little and often but eat whatever you fancy- you need something to sustain you.

15. I am so glad I found this chat. I am due to go on a secondary school PGL trip on Sunday for 8 days (which involves a 2 day trip canoeing down a river) and I found out I am pregnant today. I'm thinking about 4-8 weeks, (I have been in denial for a while) I have been really stressing what to do. My friend is a DR and she said they is no medical reason I can not go as I am a normally active person, but the school might get funny and not let me go. I would just tell them and say I cant go but it is so close to trip they will struggle to get another person who can go on the trip then approved through diary insured and all the equipment ect in such a short time and as we need a specific number of staff I could ruin the trip for every one.

So by the sounds of it, everyone agrees to keep stom about it but take it easy?

16. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

Congratulations!

Firstly, is it possible to take it easy whilst canoeing down a river for two days?

Personally I would only go if I could be certain that I wouldn't be asked to do any heavy lifting or anything strenuous. My baby's health would come first. Someone in charge on the trip might be worth telling just in case you need to avoid doing something. X

17. EmiW

EmiW New commenter

Congratulations! Hope the morning sickness eases - I was really lucky that I didnt' have any but it must be a nightmare at work.

I went on a residential to Paris (from Scotland!) at 14 weeks and hadn't really told anyone. Just carried on as normal, minus the rollercoasters at Disneyland. You could always feign back problems to get out of anything strenuous! I told my Headteacher at 14 or 14 weeks I think - I'm firmly in the "Don't tell till 12 weeks" camp as I've had previous loss and really don't like the idea of my work and private life being linked like that. I just wanted to get over the miscarriage in private.

I didn't look any different at 10 or 16 weeks and noone would guess I'm pregnant. I'm 20 weeks now and it only shows in really tight clothes. So I'd say waiting till after the summer would be ok.

Don't worry about symptoms or lack of - basically any spotting/bleeding with cramping that's worse than a period should be looked at, but uncomfortable crampy and pulling sensations are really normal - there's a lot of growing and shifting around going on in there! Bleeding can be normal too - I had 3 occasions of bleeding in first trimester and whilst I freaked out at the time, it turned out ok.

Oh and what lovely news about the wedding! Hopefully you'll still be able to fit into the dress by 10 weeks - I guess it depends how fitted it is and how much your bust grows.