1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant but fixed contract ends before due date

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by LauraMFL19, May 10, 2020.

1. LauraMFL19

LauraMFL19 New commenter

Hi there,
    I hope you're all well. I was hoping to find a bit of advice here as I am currently in my 2nd trimester and my workplace might not keep me after my fixed term contract ending this August.
    I'm due 2 weeks after, my question is: on top of Maternity Allowance (Because I haven't been working there for long enough) Am I allowed to receive any other support income? I intend on taking 6 months of maternity leave and be able to work again in April but honestly I can't see myself looking for a good school in the middle of the year again (it took me 4 months this year and they offered me a fixed term **** contract that is leading me here...) and I can't apply now for September 20 as I will be going on Maternity Leave.
    Anyone has been in the same situation or can help me find advice on what I can claim if I take a maternity leave of 1 year ?

Thank you,

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Depending on any partner's income/savings, you might be eligible for universal credit.

I think that technically, you can apply for jobs starting September. Having said that, I don't think any of us would fancy the conversation after accepting the job (in writing) when you let them know that you'll be going on maternity leave fairly immediately. They're not allowed to discriminate on grounds of maternity, so they would not be able to withdraw the job offer.

The best hope is that your current school extends the contract. If not, you might want to be exploring other avenues - private tuition, kiddies language groups (guessing that you're MFL), translation - in the hope of being able to bolster your income. You might also look at what you can do to budget now, and ways to save money.

3. LauraMFL19

LauraMFL19 New commenter

Thabnj
    Thanks for your answer. Indeed, i'm saving anything I can now, (I did some supply for 4 months but that was hard and I had barely any income so not much savings at the moment..).
    I really want to be honest and not look for a job without telling them i'm pregnant, I don't want to "trick" anyone. But yeah let's say I shouldn't have trusted the "fixed term contract" promises and it won't happen again.
    Thank you for your tips, yes hopefully I'm thinking about online teaching for next year / private tutoring when baby will be old enough until I can find a permanent role. Finding a teaching job is really not easy at all! Thanks again.

4. nearly_there_now

nearly_there_now New commenter

Hi, I was in this situation a few years ago. Baby arrived 3 weeks after my fixed term contract ended. I got statutory mat pay as I had done a few consecutive contracts within that LA. When I was ready for job hunting I signed up to supply agency and also qualified for part of universal credit which topped up my income on any weeks I didn't get supply work. I got a job after about 2 months and came off universal credit, but I think I would have been eligible to stay on it for 6 months if needed.