1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant before returning from maternity

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by rmgreenwood, Jan 31, 2018.

1. rmgreenwood

rmgreenwood New commenter

Eeek just found out that I am pregnant again having given birth to our first in September. Does anyone have any experience of this or know if I will have to pay back OMP as I won’t be back for the 13 week equivalent when I return part time? Also do school holidays e.g half terms count towards your 13 weeks?
    Thank you!

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Eeek indeed! Congratulations! No idea but just wanted to send best wishes :)

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Congratulations. I'd talk to your hr for advice, as depending on when and how long you return for could also have and effect on SMP for your second maternity period. School Holidays do count towards your time.

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I have a feeling that the remaining part of the 13 weeks is deferred to after your second maternity leave, although I may be wrong. So if you return then, you should be fine, but if you don't you'll have to repay it all (not even pro rata, unless your employer is exceptionally kind). Bear in mind that childcare costs for two under-threes could be quite a bit - sometimes those with two close together find it isn't cost-effective to return until they're a bit older.

You can usually get your 13 weeks in by returning at the start of the summer half-term holiday - but if number two turns up too early, you won't (there speaks someone whose late-September-due-date turned up mid-August). However, presumably if you do decide not to return permanently, you could still return for the summer holidays of 2019 to make up the 13 weeks for number one, and if you do return, you'll have finished both lots of 13 weeks by December.

Check whether you are covered by STPCD, and if not make sure you have a full copy of your school/trust maternity policy. Then ask the union for help and advice - not just the leaflets, but specific information about two successive maternity leaves.