1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and working in Design Technology

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Kerrie Blake, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Kerrie Blake

Kerrie Blake New commenter

Dear Colleagues,
    I was wondering if any of you are DT teaching working in RM, EG or PD, and have experience of being in this environment when pregnant?
    lt would be nice to share experiences and advice. There seem to be very few women out there who are pregnant and teaching in this subject.

2. Mimii

Mimii New commenter

Hello,

I myself am not pregnant, and have not been pregnant. Our Art, Design and Technology department is, however, primarily female and I have worked with several members whilst they have been pregnant and teaching RM and PD.

What kind of advice were you looking for?

3. Nduty

Nduty New commenter

Hi,

I'm on mat leave at the moment. I taught D&T (electronic products) right up to about 2 weeks before my baby was born.

I had a risk assessment and everything was fine. I avoided the etch tank during my pregnancy and substances such as dichloromethane (just to be on the safe side) but other than that it was all good.

Good luck with your pregnancy and enjoy your little bundle when he/ she arrives x