1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant.....and wondering how many cups of tea/coffee you drink in a day?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by puddle, Feb 12, 2011.

1. I'm only allowing myself one in the morning. But today as a treat I am having a second. I know this is over cautious and ridiculous. How many do you all drink??

2. Good to see you posting- how are you? How was your 20 wk scan?

I started off drinking none til 12 weeks, then 1 a day til about 16 weeks, now i have up to 3 on a hard work day and lots of decaff too -that's the max recommended. it really is my only vice so I try not to feel too bad on a three cup day. i reckon we could be doing A LOT worse!!

3. I'm good thanks. Everything went well at the scan - it was lovely to see baby again! How was yours?
    I'm not drinking decaff - feels like im cheating on normal tea!! So I'll stick to my one a day and 2 on treat days. Mmmmm tea!

4. i know! Love it!
    Scan good thanks- time is whizzing by, am starting to think about matb1 form and choosing a time to start mat leave. Very scary stuff and still feels like a crazy - wonderful- dream.

5. None. I have a history of loss so not taking any chances. Am drinking Chai Late instead - it is 99% caffeine free.

6. I don't drink caffeine either - partly due to me having had losses, and also because I discovered that cutting it out helped my IBS. So I've not really had any since the summer of 2008 - could probably count on one hand the number of caffeinated drinks I've had since then!
    I'm mainly a tea drinker, so have decaff tea. And now and again I enjoy a decaff latte!

7. I didn't stop/change my tea habits at all - at least 4/5 cups of tea during a school day, and the odd coffee at the weekend. I was told (after about 16 weeks!) that too much caffeine is linked to low birth weight, but my last scan @ 32 weeks put bub at 5 1/2 pounds!

8. Wylfie

Wylfie New commenter

Don't know if this helps but I always used to suffer terrible headaches before pregnancy and always had a couple of early morning coffees followed by coffee at break and lunch. I switched to decaff for both as soon as i knew I was pregnant (being cautious) and i've hardly had one since (34 weeks) and tend to drink more squash now too. May be a coincidence or one of the only nice side effects of pregnancy but I won't be switching back afterwards!

9. 200 mg is safe and that is 2-3 cups of tea. Just don't make it strong. I was told this last week at my booking in appointment! I have two a day and the occasional 3rd cup or diet coke instead.

10. I stopped coffee for three months as it made me vomit, then suddenly during my morning cup of tea, I felt sooooo sick that I had to spit the mouthful out, I couldn't drink tea after that... I did drink coke though- 1 or 2 cans on some days, none on others!

11. handrail

handrail New commenter

I stopped drinking tea and coffee while I was pregnant, instead I drank decaffinated tea but like a few others I did drink quite a lot of fizz xx

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I couldn't drink tea or coffee for the first maybe 14 weeks, but now I drink 2 or 3 cups a day. I do drink decaff coffee when I remember, and I always have decaff tea. In my last pregnancy I drank loads of coke zero or diet cherry coke, but haven't had a lot of it this time. I can give up alcohol no problem, but can't seem to do the same with caffeine! My son was 7lbs 13 at 10 days overdue, so he wasn't exactly a low birth weight!

13. I tried 1 cup of decaffinated tea and couldn't stand it!
    I drank 1 cup ish a day. could not function at work without the one before school.
    x

14. I have a cup of tea or two and coke every now and then but it's definitely not everyday. I try to be good with the pregnancy 'diet' as I could be one of those 'unlucky' people where something that wouldn't even affect someone else, could affect me badly.
    My weakness is seafood. I love it and I still eat fish/prawns regularly. Tonight I had a lovely meal out, lemon sole fish and prawns... oh and a coke!

15. Re: the headaches, coffee does that to me too! On the odd occasion when i've had one hoping for it to wake me up if I'm particularly tired, it's made me irritable and grumpy and gave me a headache so i avoid it. Tea is much kinder :)

16. When I was pregnant with my daughter (who is only 22 months) the advice was 6 cups maximum. Of course it's up to individuals but in reality unless you are drinking lots of strong coffee (for example an expresso every couple of hours) then I don't believe there's a problem.
    I always think about my great grandmother who had 10 bouncing babies and never drank anything but tea (well apart from whisky before bed!)

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Since caffeine is very soluble, the strength of your brew doesn't affect the amount of caffeine.
    Just in case anyone is risking things...

18. I don't think it's that "risky"! The midwife had it wrong then when she told me to make it weak.

19. I'd read that too clematis, although not in the BMJ i'll admit.Everyone tells you something different :(
    Thanks for the info lilac. Hope you are well. **** weather down here today. Maybe I'd better stick to 2 or less a day even on bad work days. That word 'risk' is always a scary one at the moment!