1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and wanting a new job

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Break_Duty, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Break_Duty

Break_Duty New commenter

Hi

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

I am in the early stages of pregnancy and currently not happy at my
    school. I'd really like to leave a get an Assistant Head position, but
    I'm not sure if I'd be wasting my time as I'd be turning up for the first term
    7months pregnant.

I can't afford to have much time off so would be back at Easter at the
    latest. Would be doing KIT days from Jan in my current school.

Would you consider someone in this situation?

Thanks
    BD.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If I'm being really honest, you'd have to be so outstanding as to wipe the floor with all the other candidates for me. If there was close competition, I think I'd go for the candidate who was less likely to be unable to take up the post until the following Easter - and even then might ask for part-time (I've had staff go off on mat leave swearing blind they're coming back full time, but when the baby arrives change their minds).

3. Why not take a sideways mov e to another teaching post? If you are AHT material the new school will be very happy with you and you can enjoy your job and have some time for the baby. Leadership and baby is very taxing and in a new school might cause you stress with learning curve to deal with and lack of sleep.

4. Be aware that if you move from one county council to another (or to an academy etc) during pregnancy, your maternity pay can be severely reduced. However, if you move to a new school within the same LEA, this will not be affected.
    I would definitely not consider someone who is pregnant and applying for their first AHT post I'm afraid.