1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and starting new job!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by aimee210185, Aug 26, 2018.

1. aimee210185

aimee210185 New commenter

so I start my new role as Early Years teacher in September. I found out this week that I’m pregnant (5 weeks), unplanned but much wanted.

I haven’t received my contract yet as my school have been lax and I’ve been working there the past year in a different role. I want to ask if we can amend my contract as I’d have to do probation for 6 months again due to new role and 13 weeks unpaid leave if I’m sick at any point up until December.

Want to argue that I’ve already been there a year and I know contractually they won’t be obliged to offer me maternity pay, only SMP which is pennies. I also don’t want them extending my probation or getting rid of me slightly due to pregnancy; know legally they can’t get rid of me due to pregnancy but I’m sure they’d find a way around it.

Any hits, tips, advice or support would be greatly received!

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I would keep it to myself until I was at least 12 weeks as so much can happen within that period of time. You are very early on in pregnancy so just get on with what you are supposed to do. If you do need time off for sickness... Well just take it as you would do normally.

No one needs to know yet.

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Congratulations, by the way!!!