1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and having career progression blocked

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thelibrarian, Jan 22, 2012.

1. I'm a librarian. I was due to start a course that will last a minimum of 6 months next week, and I'm also due to start maternity leave at the beginning of July. My managers have said I have to defer to 2013 because of this, stating that it will definitely take me longer than 6 months because of the way they've organised it.

I've asked to meet to discuss it, and this request has been ignored. I then forwarded a list of questions I had, such as whether they had taken into consideration that they are limiting me to just 6 months maternity leave, by email, which has also been ignored. Union advice is to drop it or put a grievance in.

I'm inclined just to drop it, because I'm very scared of rocking the boat so hard over just one unanswered email, and I would actually be OK with starting next year instead if I really have to. But also, I don't want to get walked all over, have my career progression held back and be discriminated against, which they are potentially doing.

What would you do?

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Get proper union advice, please. This is sheer, unadulterated discrimination.

3. So, you are meant to be going on a course that lasts "a minimum of" 6 months, but are leaving for Maternity leave in 5 months. Your employers are saying as you will not be able to finish the course, its better to defer it until you are able to finish it.
    Couple of things I don't understand
    1) Why does this limit you to 6 months Maternity? If you are leaving on Maternity in July 2012, and the course SMT are recommending doesn't start until July 2013 then that's 12 months Maternity - does the only course in 2013 start in Jan 2013, or is there one in Jan 2013, and one in July 2013?
    2)Why do you want to start a course you won't be able to finish before you go on Leave? The course starts next week - you state it's a minimum of 6 months long, you leave at the beginning of July - that's only 5 months away. So by your own dates you won't finish it - do you want to go on leave with still a bit of the course to complete and have to pick up where you left off having had possibly 6-12 months inbetween? I certainly wouldn't, especially if you factor in baby brain.
    I don't see why it is discriminatory personally, it sounds like they are actually acting in your best interests.