1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and given warning over absence

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by brandybugs, Apr 20, 2011.

1. I am nearly 8 months pregnant and have suffered excruciating lower back pain linked to the sacro illiac joint. It is a reoccuring condition linked to the pregnancy and I have had to take time off school on two separate occasions - each time bed ridden and unable to walk. On both occasions I had no more than 4 days off school and was able to self certify my absence.
    On the last day of term before the easter holidays I was told that I was being given a warning based on these absences. As it was the last day I didn't have a chance to question the warning further.
    Does anyone know what this warning means? Also, can they do this even though the absences were pregnancy related?
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. coppull

coppull New commenter

Was this a verbal or written warning ?
    I suggest you get them to put it in writing,then we will be able to tell ,what to do.

3. If you are absent due to pregnancy related issues in the last 4 weeks of pregnancy then your employer can insist that your maternity leave must start. This applies to all employees in any job. The warning might be about this? In any event, your employer should have given more details.
    I suffer with SI joint dysfunction long term and sympathise with how bad it is in late pregnancy!

4. Yes, I looked into the 4 week thing. When I was absent it was 11 weeks before my due date so they could not have insisted on me starting maternity leave.

5. I *think* what this is is fairly standard, pregnancy or not - if you have more than three instances of absence, you have an interview/chat/warning depending on the school you work at as to how it is phrased and at the moment therefore isn't to be worried about.
    The strange thing is that it isn't linked to how many days but how many instances. For example I had three weeks off back in the autumn term as I got very poorly and was eventually hospitalised. In the same period a colleague had one day off with a bad headache so even though I've had fifteen days and she had one we have had the 'same' amount of time.
    I don't think you need to worry unless you were to have more time off in which case they might 'support' you by giving you targets x

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Pregnancy related absence should be recorded separately to other sickness absence and cannot be used as a premise for any disciplinary action against you, provided your employer has been formally informed and any requested evidence shown, else that would amount to discrimination. Your school is very wrong to endeavor to make any 'warning' given the nature of your absence. I trust they carried out the risk assessment they are obliged to once they were notified of your pregnancy - and I mean an individual one, not a blanket piece of paper waved in your direction.

7. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Contact your Union ASAP. To me, not an expert, (but nearly 10 years in SMT) this sounds completely unacceptable