1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and class has suddenly been changed

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by P1nky123, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hi all,
    I told my school i was pregnant when i was 11 weeks. They said i would stay in my current year group and have my maternity cover to come and team teach with me. The staff year lists were released a few days later to staff. I have had chats with my acting head while they sorted out cover ( they have to reassign as an international school and have no budget for an extra member of staff) all the time the discussions have centred around me staying in current year group.

Iit is now three weeks until the end of term, i have got my new class list and timetable, have agreed to swap classrooms in my year group have began planning the room wit my year leader. Then after school the head comes and say she needs me to move to year 4 next year as the person covering does not want o teacher reception. I was initially o.k. But asked to think about it overnight. I am now really upset as it means getting to grips with a whole new curriculum ( we are writing our own skills based one). I feel like taking on a new year group is too much whilst heavily pregnant and with a new born and don't feel this is best for the children. I also was new to reception this year and have just got to my head around it and now have to move. I also feel why does the person who will cover for 3months have more say than me. I am meeting the head tomorrow, any advice on what to say.

Think this would probably be discrimination in the uk but wont count as we are international, we do have a union but not keen on getting them involved yet.

Thanks for reading

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would convey your feeling politely to the head - see what they say. Ultimately, most primary teachers are employed as just that, lending to the year group they teach being of no difference to their contract. A head teacher can direct and place staff as they see fit.