1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pregnant and Challenging Behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by theminaturehero, Sep 15, 2019.

1. theminaturehero

theminaturehero New commenter

I am 27 weeks pregnant and my new Reception class is beyond challenging! Currently just myself (class teacher) and a full time TA.
    2 children are due to have an EHCP but their paperwork hasn’t gone through yet so school won’t employ anyone for them. One of them is autistic and cannot sit for any length of time, so needs a constant eye kept on her. She is also in pull ups so needs changing in the day. The other has severe social anxiety and will not eat, drink, toilet or speak at school.
    Then there is another child who has violent outbursts; so far as kicked, punched and pulled the hair of staff. We are in an open plan two form entry school so I can call on support from the other class teacher (also eyfs manager) and TA. So far the violent child hasn’t hurt me but we’ve only done 2 full days - and I think it’s only a matter of time, even though I am trying to keep my distance from him.
    We have been told a 1:1 support for the EHCP won’t come until after I’ve gone on maternity leave.
    I don’t know if I can cope with another 3 months of this before my maternity leave starts!
    Any advice would kindly be received!

2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am really sorry to hear this is the situation you are faced with though. This sounds serious beyond the measure of behaviour management strategies and I think you need to ask for a meeting with the senior staff at your school as soon as possible. Get someone in to observe your class and put some immediate measures in to keep you and the children safe. It doesn't sound manageable, even in the short term. So much will depend on the response from your leadership but I think they need to be made aware of the situation now.

Sorry for the lack of practical advice here but I think you just need the leadership to make a decision regarding safety before you should be expected to try additional methods to work with the challenging students. Keeping your distance isn't practical.

Come back and let us know what the outcome of the meeting is and hopefully we can advise further.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The school should complete a risk assessment for all pregnant staff (which presumably was done last term). Speak to the appropriate HR person to a) make sure you have a copy and b) make sure it is updated for your new class